GO!

Puppy needs a name - and give me some advice! :)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kaiser

Our Little- Emperor

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 2:22pm PST 
Hey dogsters!
We recent brought an 8-week old Australian Shepherd puppy into our lives. For the most part, he is a pleasure. We have had him for 3 days now and his personality is starting to come out. He's silly and super playful, and adores Tobi for some reason. Tobi started off cold and practically stalking the puppy to monitor him and helping us correct unwanted behaviours. He is finally warming up to him - today I finally got them playing together and Tobi tolerated him cuddling up for a nap. So cute puppy
Can you guys help me name him? There are more photos on his profile (sorry I can't directly link them, I don't have an image hosting website). So far, we have been thinking Jake, but fiancé is hesitating because he has a cousin named Jake. Someone also suggested Kirby, which we like, but think it might be too close to Tobi.
He is a bit of an entitled little guy. Something pertaining to royalty might be nice. Like 'King', but less cliché, maybe?

Also, we have read up quite a bit and know that Aussies can be quite persistent and hard-headed, and that he will need a lot of daily stimulation both mentally and physically - anyone have any other tidbits of advice for us? We hope to start formally training him soon, but right now he is so over-the-top obsessed with food (I guess he had a community food bowl with his siblings and didn't always get his fill) that we're working on taming that before we move on.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 4:21pm PST 
Hum, you might want to research names in English or Russian royalty-the Ruskies lean towards awesome names. There are also a zillion human baby name books out there on every theme imaginable. You also might want to have an "official" name for tags and vet paperwork with a nickname for every day that's easy for commands. Sophie's official name is Opheila and Callie's is Caledonia.
We were big fans of the music group The Band, they have enough fanciful names in their songs, that we have enough dog names in reserve for lifelaugh out loud
Good Luck to you, have fun!little angel

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 4:23pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:08pm PST 
I've always thought that if I get a merle BC I would name it "Stains" ever since seeing the video of Stains the Aussie (aka the Cupcake Dog) laugh out loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuOr2vlC-c

It's not a very aristocratic name though. If you're looking for something that sounds like royalty I found a site with a lot of royal-sounding baby names that could always work for dogs too. smile

http://babynames.net/list/aristocrat-names

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 8:09pm PST

[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:47pm PST 
Well there's always Kaiser. Or, for something a little more subtle, you could name him after famous royalty like Arthur, Tutankhamun (Tut), William, Caesar, George, Alexander, Charles, Ramses, ect.

I'd use his food obsession to start some fun obedience training. Short 1-2 minute sessions throughout the day that are very upbeat and happy. Clicker training is great. Most puppies pick up on it quickly and enjoy it. Definitely start looking into obedience classes, and consider sports like agility, herding, flyball, ect. as he gets older.

You can also feed him out of a food puzzle toy to both slow down his eating and give him some mental stimulation.

Edited by author Thu Mar 7, '13 8:57pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 8:50pm PST 
Chief perhaps? Sheriff? Doc? Lolll..

Machiavelli - Mach for short. Amadi? Nuada. Viho is a Native American word for 'chief'.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 7, '13 9:28pm PST 
Ooooh artists and composers I like that...Raphael, Amadeus
[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:10am PST 
I think the name "Inka" would suit him well or "Duke". Due to his merle coloration could name him "Camo" which could be short for Camelot. Whatever, you decide to name him, he sure is a handsome little boy!
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 3:36pm PST 
There's no other name fitting for an Australian Shepherd but......

DINGO!

happy dance
[notify]
Dot

What do you mean- I'm a terror?

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 7:40pm PST 
Doc Holliday? Wyatt? Leo? Finn? Archduke Franz Ferdinand? laugh out loud

But I think if you've already associated the name Jake, it's probably going to be the one you stick with. Congrats on such a beautiful pup.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:26am PST 
I was looking at his pics and the first thing that popped into my head was Dual. With the white blaze dividing his face and different colored front legs, he looks like two dogslaugh out loudSince he looks a bit cocky you could use Duel instead.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2