GO!

Puppy separation anxiety :o/

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 6:50am PST 
Hi guys!

So, Skipper came home on the 28th of Feb and I really love the little guy puppy

I've started crate training him but to be honest, have hit a brick wall...
When he is left alone in the crate for 30 seconds he starts to scream at the top if his lungs... It isn't a bark or a cry, he screams!

Now, I know how to crate train dogs but I've only ever done it with older dogs before... I've been playing crate games with him, feeding him in his crate with the door open and leaving him in there for 30 seconds at a time whilst I sit next to him... This all goes really well and he isn't afraid of the crate at all. He will still willingly go into his crate to eat or grab a toy but to be honest, supervising him at all times isn't very practical...

For example, when I want to go in the shower, I put him in his crate with his Kong, close the door and leave... Give it ten seconds and he's screaming again :o(

But if I don't put him in his crate and leave the room, he is fine... Doesn't make a sound...

Has anyone got any tips for me? I truly feel like all the effort I put in to crate training is ruined when all of a sudden I have to lock him in there until I have tidied up, showered or gone to the shop.

Through the night I have moved him in to my room as this seems to appease him and to be honest, I love having puppy cuddles through the night puppy Rocky used to sleep in my bed, then he passed away and for some strange reason Dexter hates lying on the sofa and bed lol...

Sorry for the long post, I'm trying to give as much information as possible puppy

Thanks, in advance puppy
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 8:32am PST 
You could try an x pen instead for a while and continue working on the crate. I am a firm believer in letting puppies learn to self soothe however I don't agree with terrifying them to do so. Shadow actually injured herself in a frantic attempt to get out of her crate at 3 weeks old or so. She was sleeping so I popped her in the crate and went to have a shower. By the time I got to her(I heard her shrieking and got out) she had cut herself trying to claw her way out.
I still have a large stuffy that she takes to her crate and that seems to comfort some pups. But you are correct, it will set back crate training if Skipper continues to get upset. So try the x pen or if you have a room in your house that can be puppy proofed gate him in there. I use the bathroom as mine is easy to make safe.
Congratulations by the way, he is adorable.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 9:12am PST 
Thank you, Sabi

A pen sounds like a better idea than terrifying him with the crate. I am a bit terrified that Skip will hurt himself... He jumps up at and bites the bars of his crate the whole time he's in it :o(

The bathroom sounds like another good idea as I have a downstairs toilet that when the door is open, looks right in to the living area...

I keep thinking that maybe because I've only had him for four days, he will soon settle in to a routine and come to terms with spending time on his own...

The joys of puppyhood lol.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 12:34pm PST 
My guys have always settled from screeching to just a soft moan when I give them a large stuffed toy to snuggle with. Worth a try!!
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:28pm PST 
Ty screamed his head off in the crate too. I tried persevering for two weeks, and even moved his crate into my bedroom, which while helpful during the night was not building up to being able to leave him alone for short periods etc. I would have continued a little longer but we started getting complaints from our neighbour about the noise and the crate was abandoned. At his worst though Ty was digging up the plastic, biting the crate and generally getting very worked up and while i can see some benefits to crate training, none of it was worthwhile with Ty. From 13 weeks onwards he had free reign of the house and we never heard another peep from him way to go

I like the bathroom idea. I think sometimes for whatever reasons, some puppies just don't take to the crate and do a bit better with more free reign. If Skipper seems happier that way it's worth trying.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Mar 4, '13 8:27pm PST 
I've heard putting an old tee shirt with your scent in it can help. Also a ticking alarm clock to replicate the mother's heart.

Also love Toto's big stuffy idea. You can also get wheat bags you can heat in the microwave (or make one yourself .... just sew a corduroy pouch and fill it with buckwheat and maybe some dried lavender) ... just make sure you don't overheat and he doesn't try to eat it, lol! Hope he settles down soon.
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 2:09am PST 
Ahh I was so lucky with all my dogs - they cried for 2 nights so I slept with them, after that I've never heard them. Actually, Rogue slept right through the night from the day I bought him home

My trainer recommended the shirt and clock idea to a lady with a spaniel puppy after she said she hadn't slept since she'd gotten the pup. The next week she came in and said she never heard the pup now, it slept almost right through the night and could be left alone during the day without whining. I'm not sure if she had a crate or a pen though.. it might have been a pen with a raised bed and she put a clock underneath it. Good luck though!
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 2:35am PST 
Thanks for all your help guys puppy

I think it may be just the crate he can't stand :o/ But I'm going to try everything that has been suggested puppy

Skip has had his eye on a huge teddy bear I have in my room so I may just give him it... I don't even know where I got it so he'd get more use out of it than I do lol...

I also like the shirt idea puppy Next time I leave him alive I'll try that too puppy

I've tried the ticking clock thing and he just wanted to find it and eat it, whilst crying :o/ I got him a hot water bottle too and he did like it, but not when he was in his crate :o/

I'm stickin with it though, I'm determined my puppy is going to be crate trained lol. Then, in a couple of months, he can have free reign of the house if he continues to behave himself whilst left in a room puppy

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 5:33am PST 
LOL! Alive! I meant *alone* and it's too late to edit now puppy
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:24am PST 
Use caution with 'people' stuffys. Look for buttons, eyes, plastic or glittery bits. Also be aware of what they are stuffed with. I have found that the floppy, understuffed ones work best.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2