GO!

Puppy Preschools - Your experiences?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 1:38am PST 
I signed Rogue up for a second puppy preschool course the other day, so now we have 2 classes a week at different places. He had his first class at Petstock - it was certainly different from the Vets.

For starters there were about 10 puppies there, plus a 9 month old boxer who hadn't been before but was very good. There was also no off leash playtime, although I wasn't sure if that was because there were so many puppies, or if we were in such a big space. Anyway, the lady who runs this program has been a dog trainer for 20 odd years, so she was alot more into the training side of things, while the classes at the Vets focus more on puppy behaviour and health.

We were supposed to be learning sit, but Rogue already knows that so she moved us on to learning heel and sitting at my side. I got some wonderful tips from her, like walking paralell to a brick wall or fence to keep him straight, or walking straight into a wall if he keeps swinging round to sit in front of me. I never thought of doing things like that before, which is stupid because it's the same sort of things I do with my horse when I was teaching him to walk straight laugh out loud

She also said that when playing fetch with puppies, to roll the ball gently in from of them, because they can't see it if you peg it.... Rogue easily fetches up to 100m for me now and he never seems to misplace his toys when I throw them. She did mention he was extremely focused on me though (yay, the first pup I've had who is lol).

Not that he was perfect, he did his lying on the floor barking thing when he realised I wasn't letting him off leash to go and play with the others. *sigh* It makes it very hard to hear anyone when you have 10 puppies barking confused

Anyway, I am so excited about our next class at the Vets, the week drags by all too slowly waiting for it to come around laugh out loud
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 11:38am PST 
I would get to know some of the other puppy owners and maybe you could get together for puppy play dates to socialize. Our first puppy class was ridiculous because there was only one other puppy and I pretty much already had taught him basic obedience and it was mostly for him to socialize. So needless to say we went elsewhere. The Petsmart near us actually had a very experienced trainer and her puppy classes were in a enclosed space where the pups could run around and socialize at the beginning while everyone was arriving. It was very good for him, he was quite shy the first class but blossomed into a social butterfly.

Hope all goes well for you and your pup!way to goblue dog
[notify]
'Barcoola'- Rogue

Door? What door?

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:08am PST 
Thanks big grin We had our second class there today which was mostly held outside in an empty car park so we could practise walking on leads and stay. Considering he's been doing so well at home and at the parks he was a nightmare today confused The trainer said it could have been because it was so windy, or because there were 3 kids running in between the dogs playing tag and screaming thinking I know they have to learn to deal with distractions, but did it have to be in their first lead lesson? the parents didn't bother saying anything either. Rogue was too busy trying to chase them, it wasn't until they'd left that he finally focused on me and did a perfect heel.

Ah well, he's also learning to go to his mat at the moment, I can be a few meters away now and he'll go to it when I tell him to. I'm also using it to start his stay, not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I can walk almost 8 steps away and he hasn't moved yet. I think the clicker is working wonders as well, he's improving in leaps and bounds ever since I started using it.

Even down to fetching, he'll bring it straight back and drop it at my feet now, I don't have to show him the treat first before he drops it anymore.

And on another note, I can't believe he's almost 4 months old!! Time flies by so quickly :'( My baby is growing up lol
[notify]