GO!

Can you hold your new puppy to much?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Daisy

Daisy-I love to- cuddle!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:14pm PST 
She almost always wants to be up on my lap.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 6:47am PST 
I'll wait for the more experienced to comment, but when I started with Labradors I worked by the theory that if you picked up a new born calf every day, eventually you could pick up a cow.

It's not true. But really, I don't see how cuddling when appropriate can hurt. (watch cuddling after correction, and to assuage fear issues)
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:09am PST 
It depends what you want from her. Are you always going to be around and wanting to hold her? Then fine.

Some day are you going to go to work/supper/movie/travel and she's going to freak out because all she's ever known is being held? Then not fine.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:54am PST 
I guess I was assuming that the OP didn't mean she never left the house. I was thinking of down time and the pleasures of cuddling with one's pup.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:03am PST 
laugh out loud I just fostered a puppy that cried if I wasn't holding him. Like if I was washing dishes he'd sit at my feet and cry. You have to be careful what you create!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:13am PST 
True. I have my dogs pretty much following my routine. I am always wondering how they tell the difference between me putting on my coat to go to work, at which point they go and lay down - And me putting on my coat to take them for a walk, at which point they zip around like mad and dive through the dog door.

And I REALLY have to watch coddling Dubs who is turning into an old grouch. I don't know how to console her and at the same time make her less needy.

Working on that. She is a funny little package.
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 9:48am PST 
It really depends on what you want and expect out of your dog later in life. Like Jewel said, you can create a monster. Behaviors that are encouraged or allowed as a puppy will become habits that are very hard to break in older dogs. So think about whether you want your dog climbing into your lap (and possibly other people's laps) whenever she feels like it, and if not begin setting boundaries now.

Personally, I love to have my dogs in my lap, but I teach them a cue to let them know when it's ok. When my dog starts walking towards me, if I want him in my lap, I pat my leg. If not, I get up or block his way somehow until he learns that without the cue he's not allowed there. This way, when I'm in my work clothes or have a stomach ache, I don't have a dog that just randomly jumps on me.

And if your puppy happens to be showing any potential signs of separation anxiety or excessive neediness, it's even more important to start building some self-confidence and independence in her early. None of that means you can't cuddle her, but if you want it to be on your terms you have to set those terms as a puppy.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 2:39pm PST 
I used to always carry Nix up and down the stairs, since his crate was in our bedroom on the top floor. We live in a townhouse so there's a lot of stairs, which could murder a puppy's developing joints if they're constantly running up and down them.

It would be reasonable to worry that this could create an adult dog who is afraid of stairs, but that wasn't our case. smile When he got too big to carry, he did it himself. There was never any hesitation. He knew what stairs were, despite his limited experience going up and down them on his own. Then again, he was a pretty fearless puppy anyways.

Just like with a lot of things, it depends on the individual. If your dog is becoming needy and barks to be picked up whenever it's on the ground, I'd say it's time to stop holding him. Cuddling and carrying is fine as long as the dog doesn't become dependent on it. smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 8:13am PST 
It depends on your pup, but the short answer is no. Just like the old wives tale that you will spoil your baby if you cuddle them.
I carried Sabi everywhere when she was little, and she grew up fine.
I held Shadow for 2 weeks straight, she hates to be held now.
I routinely lug around orphan pups, they seem fine and everyone tells me that if I let puppies sleep on the bed I will end up with dogs on the bed. They come up to visit but they all sleep on the floor.
I'm sure someone will chime in and disagree but in my experience as long as you are encouraging independance and keeping up training, cuddle away. They don't stay puppies long. wink
[notify]
Daisy

Daisy-I love to- cuddle!

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 9:31am PST 
Thank you. I for sure don't want to end up with a 50 plus pound dog who won't stay off my lap!But I love the cuddle's too.
[notify]