GO!

Chihuahua to...Lab?!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:24am PST 
Hi!

So, a friend of a friend just got a puppy for her children off Craigslist (I know...)- only to find out that her son is allergic. She was going to take the puppy down to the shelter, but I offered to take him in at least temporarily, to spare him the shelter experience.

So, at least for a while, I'll have a black and tan Labrador puppy, about nine weeks old. If all goes well between him and the other dogs, well, I don't see any reason not to keep him in the pack, so he might have a permanent home with me.

I've never owned a Lab. I have a Papillon and three Chihuahuas, and I grew up around Miniature Schnauzers. While I've heard a lot about Labs from my dog loving friends and my sister who's a dog trainer, I know that's probably nothing compared to having the ball of fur running all over your house!

So, other than 'Labs eat anything and everything', what would you tell someone to prepare them for the Lab experience? How best can I supervise play and introduction between a rambunctious Lab puppy and Chihuahuas with firecracker personalities? party
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:28am PST 
That is such a huge size difference. I don't have any Chi's but when I got Dubs the puppy, she maybe weighed about 6 pounds. I was so worried. I crated her when I went out but she hated it. In the end, it turned out that she had the boss personality and Savvy was worried about her.

Also, we had Samoa who turns out to have a mothering instinct and he took over puppy care.

I'm afraid I really can't advise you much. But take care, because if the Lab is boisterous as it probably will be...there is so much potential for accidental injury.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 9:58am PST 
I don't think purebred Labs come in black and tan, even mismarks. thinking I expect it is a mix.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:00am PST 
oh, I didn't catch that. I thought she said it was a mix...
[notify]
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:04am PST 
Yes, how the size difference plays out will be a big factor in my decision. The Lab puppy will be crate training and the chihuahuas have their 'apartment' built out of a Great Dane cage for while I'm away, and the Papillon goes to work with me- so the doggies will never be together unsupervized.

And yeah, when she said it was a black and tan purebred Labrador, I kind of scoffed too, but when I Googled it I found evidence that there is such a thing. Didn't keep any of the links, but they're the first ones that pop up on Google. If I keep him I'll probably do one of those nifty DNA kits, just for kicks! But Lab or Lab mix, doesn't matter to me. smile All about the personality.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:11am PST 
Well, I've had two Labs and they have both had wonderful personalities. Both lived with smaller dogs and with cats and we had no trouble. But in each case, the Lab was older when the other animals were introduced. Lab puppies can be a handful.

A double handful, because they grow so quick and outgrow their sense. In about two years (if you survive) you should have a wonderful dog.

I am sure others with better backgrounds in training will chime in. I think it can be done.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:14am PST 
Be prepared to give timeouts to the lab when he gets too much and too zoomy. I had to do that and I do not have the concern of smaller animals in the path!

Do be prepared for a long and extreme teething stage - us golden people love to compare teething stories with lab people. Most of us are concerned and doing vet visits when a puppy is normal and does not chew for 3 months straight smile
[notify]
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:33am PST 
I worked as an assistant at a vet's office for almost a year, and I can say the Lab owners had the most interesting stories of chewed up things- that's why the first thing that I'm doing is picking up all the Chihuahua toys that are small enough for him to swallow, then I'm going to the store and loading up on toys for the new little guy to destroy!

Though my Chihuahuas will give him a run for his money, that's for sure. They tackle any toy, any size- I got them a four foot long dragon toy with dozens of squeakers in it, and they drag it around and try to maul it all the time. XD

I'm all excited and nervous, the kind you feel when you know you're going to be getting a puppy soon! I think he'll have trouble keeping up with the Chis, because those three are fast as BULLETS, I swear!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 11:41am PST 
Jinx, I have a story that might be a nerve soother. Our second dog, Samoa is about 80 lbs. and probably a retriever mix, with some Aussie which wouldn't be expected to improve the temperament. Once he went barrelling across the yard to the neighbors who had a whole flock of teeny chi's. I was holding my breath.

Samoa stopped in the middle of them, looked around and then back at me with an expression that couldn't say any plainer "Do you SEE this?"

He was pals with the teenies until they moved away. May you get those results.
[notify]
Jinx

Koala Bear

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:31pm PST 
I hope so! The breeder I got my Chihuahuas from has a ton of tiny Chis...and a GIANT Rottweiler. Some might say a bad combination, but she's constantly updating her page with pictures of the baby Chihuahuas using the Rottie as a jungle gym and running circles around her. So that gives me hope, at least, that it can be done with proper training and supervision!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3