GO!

Kinda need some advice ( dad in laws dog)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:57pm PST 
Well.. there are resources, and people have repeatedly given you your options. And if you were so set in your decisions in the first place... WHAT were you asking for advice on? thinking

If you were looking for people to agree with you, I'm not sure many will, despite your 'reasoning'.
[notify]
Susie

love going on- trail rides with- the horse

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 1:01pm PST 
My nephews house burnt down last year. My sister has his two cats and Sheltie at her place. (They were lucky they escaped through the cat door as nobody was home).

She barks a lot and they have some other dogs of their own. She would like to rehome the dog as it looks like it will be a long time thing, but she is not going to do it if her son wants to keep her. He has lost everything and she would not force him to also get rid of the dog, no matter how much it barks. He rescued the dog when she was about 9 years old and has had her three years.

I really think you should try and work something out and not force your father-in-law to get rid of his dog.
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:17pm PST 
I feel bad for your father-in-law but I also feel bad for you! I don't see how you can possibly care for his dog since you are at the limit for animals where you live and frankly, since you are pregnant, I doubt if you will need the added stress a barking ill-behaved dog will give you. I only see trouble ahead should you do this. I would get on the phone and call every shelter, rescue, vet in the area and explain the situation. Maybe someone has a solution we haven't even thought of. Maybe one of those organizations will temporarly board the dog and allow your father-in-law to visit the dog. There must be a solution other that you taking over.....it sounds to me that financially and emotionally this would not be a good idea for you at all.
Sometimes you have to think of yourself and your own situation first.....
best of luck to you and congratulations on your pregnancy.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:25am PST 
Ok this is titans dad lets that that straight now since my wife refuses to come back to this site. It kinda makes me sad as we have glossed and read these forums for a year to find when we needed advice the most what we got was a guilt trip. I Honestly think that what my wife was asking was clear She wanted advice on where she could go and who she could ask to help board and help my father train this dog. Even I agree since she is home all day that it would be too much on her right now as she is struggling to keep training Her ESA and spend time with him. Again as she has said and asked that all of her health issues not be up for all to see. Yes she has horrid painful health issues from before she was pregnant and that is playing a huge part in this decision to board my dad's dog and having him work with her there instead of him bringing her here where my wife would have to be the one dealing with her 24/7 when me and dad are not home. Its unfair to say she doesn't want to try. It isn't a matter of not wanting its a matter of being unable to right now. Again to some these are excuses but in all honestly it is hard to train a dog to not do anything when you are on bed rest and can only move to the bathroom in our bedroom from pain. She has a huge heart for animals dogs, cats, birds, ect but she knows right now at this moment she cannot give my dads dog the attention she needs. In short even if we had the room to rotate the dogs out if they didn't get along she couldn't do it again because she is confined to our bedroom. Also I agree with her since my dad is living with us permanently if the dogs didn't get along that it wouldn't be fair to either one to have to share a space. in short this is basically adopting another animal and we don't have the space ( even though legally we do) or the money to take care of another dog. Rotation only goes so far and what we are talking bout could be years of him living with us. She has had to let me take apart the room for our child so my father can stay with us. We have had to return items since we cannot store them anywhere and We as a household cannot afford a storage locker things like a crib for a pack and play, dressers for shelves ( the plastic walmart kind)so to say my wife is being selfish is nothing short of a lie. Not letting her (my dads dog) come to stay with us is one of the hardest decisions we have had to make since I know too that Benda ( my dads dog) is helping my dad but we simply cannot take her permanently into our household as she is. It would be irresponsible for us to do so while she is as she is. My wife is at least willing to try to find ways to help my dad curb the barking and help him find training so she can be some what used to things outside of the backyard and the house. To Keeva and the others who actually helped. Thank you she took your advice and is calling and trying to find a way. To the others.... while I can appreciate the fact you love you dogs and love dogs in general. There are things sometimes people cannot do. At the end of the day it comes down to if we can or cannot. Weather my dad keeps her ( his dog) or not is up to him. But his dogs barking and socialization depends on if she can stay here.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 11:55am PST 
No one here isn't understanding of anything, except that all of us offered solutions that were apparently unacceptable. There are agencies everywhere that deal with these kind of issues. In all honesty, refusing to participate in a conversation that you started because you disagree with the answers is fairly rude to those of us who took the time to try and answer. We all offered what information and advice we could. If the answers weren't satisfactory, I guess the dialogue should have continued.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 12:42pm PST 
Have you considered putting an ad in the paper or Kijji ( Craig's list) for a foster home if there is a chance that your dad will be in the position to get her back? Or is his living with you a permanent situation?

ETA read back again and see that he will be living with you and you will be moving to a bigger place. I have seen ads on Kijji looking for temporay foster homes , so I still say it may be an option for you.

Edited by author Sat Jan 26, '13 12:47pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 2:47pm PST 
Yep, the advice you asked for has freely been given here. It's down to you to find the right help you need. I'm not entirely sure long term boarding is what i would want in this situation. But you could certainly be looking around and asking charities or animal organizations local to you for help and advice.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 3:06pm PST 
It wasn't a guilt trip. My post responded that she could take in the dog, find a foster, pool family money and board. Several posts reflect that way. But any post that included "sorry, but this really IS on you," that was not wanted to be heard. But what is, is. And that's where you have to start. She is terrorizing herself with "can't, can't, can't," where you flip your perspective "well, darn it, I have to make this work some way...but how?" and then explore options....as I said, bring the dog in and attempt to make it work, pool family money and board (some here after me suggested emergency boarding discounts) or find a foster. There are options and the situation deserves the effort. Life has just sort of played to where you have to help, and that is the situation you are in and you work from there.

Again, keep it in perspective. Many people foster dogs with troubled behavior all the time. The dogs come around if everyone works together. This thought that it might always be this way, again, is the wrong perspective. These forums are chock full of people who have dealt with far worse. Behavior can always be changed, and if your dad has become a permanent equation, then it's time to be inspired by that. Not to bring further stress or burden to yourselves, but to the contrary a sense of control and the future's promise.

Edited by author Sat Jan 26, '13 3:10pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3