GO!

Resident dog doesn't like new puppy.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sabrina

Want a free foot- wash?

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 4:42pm PST 
A few days ago we found a pointer/pit mix puppy on the side of the road. Since then, we have not found her owners. We plan to have her scanned for a microchip, but we get the feeling that she was dumped. Anyway, if we end up keeping her I am worried about how her and Sabrina will get along. Sugar and her are already pretty much best buds, but Sabrina can get very tense around her. It is worst when Sabrina has a toy, I am trying to pet them both, or if the puppy is trying to play. I can always tell when their tails go stiff and strait,they just stare at each other, and Sabrina sometimes starts to raise her hackles a little. Usually I try to diffuse the tension by calling them to me with a happy voice and separating them. However, Sabrina is only 11 pounds, and at about 6 months (a guess) the puppy is already about 20-25lbs. Is there any way I can help them get along? When they first met, they were great, but I cannot have 2 fighting dogs in the house. I know female dogs usually do not get along the best, but Sugar's submissive personality and Sabrina's more dominant demeanor always worked out fine. Sugar and Sabrina are both spayed and the puppy will be if we end up keeping her. She is a really awesome dog with us. Smart, gentle, playful, and no prey drive for our chickens. I am just starting to have my doubts though, and I was wondering if there is any way to help them get along. Thank you! smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 8:49pm PST 
As tempting as it is to play with puppies it can make the current dogs unhappy. First you need to make sure you are not robbing the dogs you already have of their time and attention. Make it a rule that your girls get their time first. And don't let the pup harass or annoy them. Keep high value things out of reach to avoid conflict and avoid games that encourage competition. Walking them together is a good start for most dogs, it removes them from their territory and puts them on neutral ground plus it's hard to be cranky when you are moving forward, quick forward movement makes posturing tough.
Do keep in mind though that some dogs just don't mesh. I had a foster here that Shadow took an instant and unshakeable dislike to. And in my house it's last in first out. I would never consider keeping a dog that obviously upset one of mine.
[notify]
Sabrina

Want a free foot- wash?

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:57pm PST 
Thank you! Today I thought they were making a lot of progress. We went on a two mile walk together, took them swimming in the pond, and played fetch with them (two diff. people with 2 diff. toys). Sabrina seemed less tense and was actually letting her sniff her a little. Then, out of no where Sabrina just attacked her. frown I was cutting an orange in the kitchen and didn't notice them both with their heads behind my sisters legs in the corner, trying to get a piece of food. I am pretty sure Sabrina bit her in the face, and I immediately grabbed the puppy (she was closer) and pulled her away. Sabrina was biting her back leg and the puppy was trying to reach around and bite her.My sister picked Sabrina up and put her outside. Afterwards, both dogs were fine but I am afraid to put them together again. The puppy is in the garage for now, and I guess she will sleep in her crate tonight. It is so discouraging to see this after they made so much progress tonight. Maybe with times they will get along better? I really like her, but if they continue to fight, I know of a few local rescues who run through foster programs. I would rather not do that, but I am feeling so conflicted right now. Since yesterday, she has already learned sit, down, and watch me. I am falling in love fast!
[notify]