GO!

How much food to feed 3 month old lab mix

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Carter

Professional- Fetcher

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 1:50pm PST 
She seems to be between 20 and 25 lbs. and I'm really not sure how much to feed her on average. I still haven't decided which brand of food I'm going to feed her (I just got her today and she came with some Purina food- ick) and I know it varies depending on brands, but is there a rough guideline of how many cups to feed her per day?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 3:29pm PST 
It really varies a lot depending on the quality of the food. You may need to feed less than half as much with a really high quality food vs a really low quality food, so there's really no way to give a general amount.

Since she's a large breed puppy, look for a high quality puppy food with an appropriate amount of calcium. Once you've chosen a food, you can use the guidelines on the bag as a starting point and adjust as needed. If she starts getting too chunky (and any extra weight is not a good thing for a growing LBP), cut back some, if you start seeing too much rib, increase amount. The Large Breed Puppy Nutrition thread is a good one to read through.
[notify]