GO!

My 4-week old husky pups smell & feel disgusting. Bathing suggestions?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 10:54am PST 
I used baby shampoo. Gentle, hypoallergenic and safe for babies.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 11:40am PST 
I would recommend a different bedding and bigger area for the pups. I have used shavings with great success. The poops get coated with the shavings and the pups stay clean and smell like pine. The are a bit messy in your house but MUCH nicer than smelly pups and they vacuum up easily.
As for bathing...we use dawn as well. The ph is correct for dogs and a little goes a LONG WAY. Any shampoo will dry a puppy's coat so do not bathe them more than every two weeks or less.
[notify]
Tanqueray- Tonic

I kiss with my- teeth!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:14pm PST 
@Toto, how do you know Dawn Dishsoap is the appropriate PH balance for puppies/dogs? Both our primary veterinarian and groomer have advised us to the contrary.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 1:34pm PST 
I tested it with litmus paper...comes out 7.5, right there with the best dog shampoos. It's easy to test it yourself, litmus paper is available at most drug stores.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:37pm PST 
My daughter uses Baby Shampoo on her Guinea Pigs. They need something extremely mild and that's what's recommended. That won't burn their eyes and you could use just a little. I agree with keeping them warm. That's very important. Good Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 9:43pm PST 
it would be nice to ask these questions & other similar or more serious questions to your breed mentor.
[notify]
Tanqueray- Tonic

I kiss with my- teeth!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 7:15am PST 
@Toto, very interesting!! Definitely will test it out.
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 9:52am PST 
Baby shampoo is good. The higher-quality dog shampoos are good.

Dawn is safe. It is extremely drying, this is true, and that's why you don't use it as a regular shampoo for routine bathing of your dogs.

Given the current apparently extremely filthy condition of the puppies due to mama's refusal to bathe them, it might be appropriate in this case. Or you could go buy some baby shampoo or good-quality dog shampoo.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 2:28pm PST 
I would think any mild puppy shampoo should be fine! Just make sure they are warm post-bath, with no vents or drafts or cold air coming in anywhere.

If you do use Dawn, use it only verrryyy watered-down. I think when I did mine in a plastic bottle with about 1 ounce of Dawn to about 16 ounces of water. You may not even need to put any near their faces, depending on 'how' much rolling they did! wink
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:16am PST 
Oh...my gosh.

if the urine and fecal matter is allowed to get into their eyes and noses, you could end up with a slew of upper respitory issues and eye infections.

Poor little pups. My goodness.

I'd say baby shampoo is your best bet. Johnson and Johnson makes an all natural foaming cleanser that's scentless and works *really* well and is non drying.

Please please be careful when you clean their faces. Do NOT use the same washcloth on their eyes that you do on the rest of them...not sure how you're going about cleaning them, exactly, whether you're going to submerse them in a bath or what's going on...

Why did you let the pups get so filthy in the first place? If you noticed the dam wasn't keeping them clean, why wait until they're covered in waste and other grossness?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3