GO!

When does it end?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 4:32pm PST 
Well, I would take him with me to his house, if it was HIS house lol.
He lives with his mom right now, due to the fact that he's 18 and working on getting a place, and she doesn't want a puppy over there. Before I used to stay with him for over half the week, and it was more of a home then any other place. Being here is highly depressing, and probably a big reason why I'm having a hard time with my stress levels with sputnik..
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 4:08am PST 
I'm taking a random guess that you are a young girl probably in her early 20's. That's just a guess though. Puppies are like human babies only they have fur, walk on four legs and have different-ish needs. Puppies are a BIG responsibility. You probably should have thought this completely through before getting a puppy. Human babies can't control their bladder so that is why they have a diaper on. Puppies are the same way. They have little to no bladder control and so when they need to go potty they find a spot. Most likely a spot or place you agree on. That is why you must take puppies outside every hour on the hour, after they wake up from their puppy naps, after play time and after feeding time. Puppies explore their world by chewing on anything and everything and by mouthing objects. This is why supervising your puppy by tying him to you is important. Puppies will chew on anything from wires, baseboards, doors, walls, your personal items, and the list goes on. They will also swallow food items that is not safe for dogs and especially for puppies. The biggest thing I see in my clinic is puppies coming in because they got a hold of chocolate. So you must keep all food items up out of reach. The chewing becomes more excessive when the puppy starts teething which usually happens about 4 1/2 - 5 months of age. The teething stage will last up until the puppy is at least 10 months old. If you cannot supervise your puppy for any reason, CRATING is a MUST! This keeps you worry free and your puppy safe from ingesting unsafe items and teaches them how to control their bladder and helps with housebreaking. Puppies and dogs normally will not potty in their sleeping area. So if you get a crate or have a crate already, make sure the crate is just big enough that the puppy can turn around. Most wire crates come with a divider to help you with this. If the puppy starts to cry and whine (which he will) while he is in the crate you must ignore him no matter how sad it is. This will desensitize him that being alone is not always a bad thing. When your crate training put him in the crate and leave the room for a couple minutes, ignore his cries while doing this. After a couple minutes is up return to him, release him and reward him. There is more of an extent to crate training but this is the basic. To help with teaching the puppy that his potty area is outside take him outside every hour and after naps and feeding. If you must put him on his leash and once he does his business make a BIG deal out of it with lots of verbal praise and pets. Puppies must be fed 3 - 4 times a day.
Australian cattle dogs and Australian shepherds are very driven and engergetic dogs. I have huskies and I know what it is like to have an energetic dog. Some days it seems like my huskies energy never run out. I will be at the dog park for 4 hours and they will just keep running around during that whole time. But once we get home they go into a coma BOL! They were bred for herding and working. You must keep his mind exercised as well as him physically. Don't take him for walks until he 4 months of age and has received all of his vaccines. But play with him in the backyard; fetch and tug a war is exciting with this breed. As time goes by you will think of other great way to keep him busy and not from getting bored. His training should be done multiple times a day and be as short as 5 - 10 minutes each training session. Puppies tend to get distracted very easily so don't spend too much time on one command as the puppy will get bored. To keep them from getting distracted and bored make the training exciting. I found clicker training to be successful in high energy breeds. While you are out give the puppy Raw meaty bones or bully rings/sticks to chew on. Puzzle toys are also great for these dogs as it gets them to think and solve a puzzle. It exercises the mind.

I have had my husky Luna and my wirehair dachshund Jazz since they were puppies. And I have also raised 2 day old orphan puppies and had kept them till they were 8 - 10 weeks old. I got Luna when she was far too young to leave her mother but the circumstances and the situation that she was in, it was best for her health for me to take her. Puppies like human babies can cause a lot of frustration and cause you to become aggravated but like babies, when you buy/adopt a puppy you need to have patience with them. They don't know right from wrong just yet which is why it is your job to train them. By raising luna when she was only 3 weeks old and taking in a litter of 5 two day old puppies, they have shown me to have more patience with them and showed me that it is very rewarding in the end. So just take a deep breath and follow all the advice/instructions that the other dogsters have given you. It does end and it does get better.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2