GO!

Puppy pees and pees and pees.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 4:48pm PST 
Sputnik is doing great with housetraining, except that he's only had one pooping accident in the house, but has about two peeing accidents each day, usually between 3 and 5 p.m. I feed him on a schedule, three times a day, and moderate how much water he drinks. I understand that he doesnt have full control of his bladder yet, but if I take him outside to pee and he does pee, he's libal to pee within 10 minutes of coming back inside. I usually have to take him out 3 times within the following hour after hes had some water. Any answers???
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 4:55pm PST 
Could be a urinary tract infection. I'd have the vet take a look at him.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 5:10pm PST 
It sounds pretty normal for a puppy that age to me. I find it better to allow them full access to water so that they don't over drink when it's offered... seems to work thru their system less fast that way.
[notify]

Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 6:06pm PST 
If I gave him unlimited access to water I wouldn't know when to expect when he needed to pee... I've read to moderate how much he drinks and then watch closely afterwards..
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 9:14pm PST 
Moderating water isn't the way. Free access to water, whenever he is in the house watch him, if you can't watch him, crate him. If he looks like he may want to go , take him outside and throw a party, praise treat every time he potty's outside.If you see him start to pee inside, rush him out the door, and praise, treat.....when he finishes outside.

Do the same with poop, praise and treat every time he goes outside no matter what, ignore inside accidents but be sure to clean them up well using an enzyme cleaner.

Be careful of what you read, know the source, when it was written and the persons training approach. Also think carefully about anything you read, the writer could be wrong and you need to think it through carefully before believing what you read.
Withholding water could cause health problems, most experts will advise access to clean water at all time. You can even read this advice on most dog food feeding guides too.
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 9:04am PST 
Alrighty thanks, I hope it helps with the constant peeing...
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 10:17am PST 
Puppies a lot of the time need to pee twice. So when you take the pup out, he pees, praise then let him sniff around again & if he doesn't pee within 5 minutes of the first, then take him inside. If you think it may be a UTI, a couple of drops of lemon juice in the food should help. I went through several boughts of UTI with Tia while potty training (very common with females when housetraining)
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 12:08pm PST 
Thanks, Fritz! Basically what happens is the puppy drinks and drinks when you offer water because he is over thirsty and he doesn't know when he will get some again, which overloads his system and his kidneys need to overwork to get rid of the extra water.
If he has water constantly available he only drinks enough to satisfy his needs and his system adjusts to an even amount all the time, with a urine output that is steady and thus helps him learn bladder control.
As Fritz mentioned, withholding water is extremely hard on his kidneys as their job is to keep the cells properly hydrated at all times. The kidneys need to hold water back when it is not available, then get rid of it when he drinks a bunch at once, which means his bladder is also filled up too quickly and that makes him have to pee even more.
If taken to an extreme, the cells can have the minerals and salts washed out of them and then they will really have trouble as the kidneys will begin over producing urine to try and get the levels stable since the salts and minerals are what keep the water in the cells where it belongs.
In other words, drinking too much at once will cause the cells to release too many salts and minerals, thereby messing up the kidneys and causing them to release too much urine at once. which makes him MORE thirsty and creates a vicious cycle of drinking and peeing.
By keeping water available at all times, he will only drink when his body needs the water and he won't overdrink and everything will be kept stable.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 2:40pm PST 
If you've been withholding water to that extreme, I would agree with Toto and Fritz that that's probably what's causing the issue. I've always given free access to water, and mine was fully housetrained by three months old with very few accidents. I have heard the recommendation not to give water after 6 or 7 at night to reduce the chance the puppy will need to pee during the night. I didn't do that either, but I also took him out at least once a night for the first couple weeks.

Definitely let him have constant access to water and see if it gets better. If not, I would consider the possibility of a UTI.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:21am PST 
Great advice from all so I won't comment on the issue…

I considered Pepper to be the piddliest puppy ever. She had to pee all the time!

We finally tried Bell training her. It worked great. She wanted to pee outside, she just didn't know how to let us know when she needed to go. It helped us all and gave her much needed control.

We also bell trained Sonny, who was an older puppy when he arrived. A sanity saver with a pup that gave NO signals he need to go pee!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2