GO!

Advice for puppy nipping

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rufus R Dogg

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 2:51am PST 
Rufus is 7 weeks old and his teeth are coming in fast! We baught several teething toys and chew sticks, which he uses. However, if he had it his way, he would prefer to chew on my arms, hands, feet, legs, and draping clothing... I do the "eeep" noise to alert that it hurts me, but sometimes it just excites him more, and he escalates. I tell him firmly no and place a chew stick or teething toy in his mouth. He will accept it, chew it for 2 second, spit it out, and nip me again! When he gets too wild, he goes to his kennel for 15 minutes to cool down. I know that he is young, but he is also very smart---he saw me step over the loveseat to the bed just once, and he was able to make the leap himself! What am I doing wrong here?
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 5:47am PST 
What you are doing wrong is you have a far too young puppy. Puppies need to stay with their litter mates and their mother for a minimum of 8-9 weeks to learn dog manners, and bite inhibition specifically.
[notify]
Rufus R Dogg

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 6:46pm PST 
Rufus came to us on unusual circumstances. The mother was a stay and didn't take care of her pups, and many of the liter mates were bottle fed. Homes were found for the pups. I know it's not an ideal situation, but we're making the best of it. We're going to the vet tomorrow for his first shots and a second round of deworming.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:44pm PST 
I agree with Kalisi. But given your situation, I guess taking him to the vet would probably be the best idea. You may also want to get him some friends and get them to go on play dates. Most of the time, puppies learn what's good and bad because of their littermates.
[notify]
Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 4:29pm PST 
Considering nobody's really given you a helpful answer, I'll try to help. I was watching puppies 101 on animal planet, and the woman on there said to discourage puppy nipping, put butter on the areas that he nips at on your skin. I know it sounds like alot of work, sounds gross, and even sounds strange, but it eventually makes them believe that since they can't get a good grip on your skin due to the slipperiness of the butter, that they won't ever be able to get a good grip and will eventually stop trying.
I have a redheeler, aussie mix puppy, and both breeds are well known for nipping, so I understand how you feel. But so far for me, saying no firmly has helped.
Hope this helped!
[notify]
Jethro

Design jewelry,- not dogs!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 5:21pm PST 
Sputnik, ideally, you only remove them for one or two minutes so they get the idea that biting ends all play. Fifteen minutes is way, way too long for them to get that message, they have completely forgotten why they were removed and come back rested and ready to wind up again.
You may have to remove them four or five times in a row during each session, but the consistency is what makes it work so well. I bite skin, I am removed from people and play.
Seven weeks IS really young, but with consistency and removing him EVERY TIME teeth touch skin it will work, it just may take longer due to his age.
Jethro is 8 1/2 weeks and he got it figured out in less than four days. He was completely hand raised as his mother was ill, so I really assumed it would take much longer in his case since MOST bite inhibition is really learned while the pup is still in the litter.
[notify]
Rufus R Dogg

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 11:58pm PST 
Thanks for your help

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 11:59pm PST

[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:08am PST 
I feel for you Rufus. I am going through the same stuff right now. 3 weeks ago I adopted a 5 month old Husky puppy (Lexus)
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 10:02am PST 
oops got cut off....anyways. great advice from Jethro. What I have found has worked for me is training her with the word "off" I tried "no bite" and "no" etc....and it wasn't seeming to help, so I found how to train "off" by researching online and it has been working much better. Take a handful of treats and let the puppy smell and lick your hand with the treats in it (closed fist) he may try and bite and lick for a while, try and be patient and say the word firmly but not angry... "OFF" dont repeat the word to many times and when he does pull his head away which he will but again be patient it will take time, praise and give him a treat. Keep doing this daily till he learns what off means, they usually catch on pretty quick. Then you can start useing it when he is nipping at you, just say off and try to have a treat on hand and praise and treat when he lets go....it has been working for me, of course a puppy is a puppy so dont expect perfection but improvement. It will get better. Also there is one point in the evening I have noticed is when my puppy acts out most and is very over excited, so now that I know when that time is coming I tether her to me so she is not running crazy in the house, she usually ends up laying down and when she wakes is normal.....or I take her outside for a romp and play with her then bring her in and tether for a bit and she calms. Tethering works very well with a puppy. I dont use it all the time but it helps with accidents in the house and when they are over excited. Good Luck with your puppy.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 18, '13 11:05am PST 
hey Rufus, i saw your picture and i had to join. My pup may be your sister!
Are you from gladstone area?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2