GO!

New here with housebreaking question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cece

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 4:51pm PST 
Hello, everyone! I am new here and have a 13 week old Shihpoo named Cece. She is doing quite well with the housebreaking, as far as peeing goes, but keeps pooping in the house. Does anyone have any suggestions or know why she is having more trouble with poop than pee? Thank you and I look forward to getting to know all of you and your dogs!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:56am PST 
She's only a baby and doesn't have full control over her bladder/bowels yet. If she is having accidents, just supervise her better and take her out more often. Clean up any accidents with an enzyme pet odor eliminator.
[notify]
Cece

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:34am PST 
Thank you for the advice. I guess I keep forgetting how young she really is. I got my Jack Russell mix at 13 weeks and he was housebroken within a week...I have to keep in mind that they are different dogs though. I'm sure Cece will get it in her own time!
[notify]

Sputnik

It moves? Love- it!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 4:20pm PST 
My pup just turned 10 weeks old today, and Ive had him for a week. I didn't know there was an animal that needed to pee as much as he does but I was wrong! We go to the bathroom about every three hours a night, and we go every half hour to hour a day and we still have accidents! Crating at night has gotten rid of nighttime accidents since puppies dont like sleeping in what theyve eliminated in, and crating has also helped with daytime accidents when I need to shower or do household chores or eat. So I suggest crate training, and taking the pup out every half hour to hour during the day.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:02pm PST 
you have got a lot of good answers I am not sure what I can add, but welcome to Dogster and we look forward to getting to know you as well. One other good way to prevent accidents is to tether the pup to you. This worked and is working very well for my puppy. She is 5 months old we just got her 3 weeks ago from a shelter she was rescued from living in a cage for the whole 5 months of her life outdoors, so she had no clue when it came to potty training. She hasn't had an accident in 2 weeks now. I tether her to me often when I cannot have my eyes on her all the time or when she is on a tear and feels the need to run crazy in the house and or after my kids. Plus it seems to be a good bonding time. Learn your pups body language when she is about to go pee or poop. Lexus will do a couple circles while sniffing the ground, when I see that I take her out right away. And treat and praise when she goes. Make sure you are useing a good cleaner to clean accidents or he will keep going in the house if his scent is there....good luck to you and please keep us posted on how things are going way to go
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:02pm PST 
crate training is a great option as well.....because of course they cannot be tethered to us all the time...when we go out etc......
[notify]