GO!

Bringing Home my pup on Saturday -- What I've got and what should I have?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trooper

I'm such a- little trooper!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:58pm PST 
I'm bringing home Trooper on Saturday and I'm going through a last minute check-list of things I want to have for him when I bring him home. The things below are things I've already got for him or things that the breeder has provided for him for me, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. I want my new little fur baby to be as comfy as possible when he comes home on Saturday.

-Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Puppy Food
-kennel
-harness
-leash
-food and water dishes
-toys

I plan on making a petsmart run the day I pick him up so if there's anything I forgot I can grab it then.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:06pm PST 
the breeder should also provide his pedigree or registration papers, the health screenings on his parents and results (luxating patella, progressive retinal atrophy, leggs-calves-parthes disease minimum), and previous veterinary history (dewormings, shots, etc), and a contract stating their expectations and responsibilities as well as yours (spay/neuter, any obligatory training or titling, health guarantee, co-own if any).

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '12 8:09pm PST

[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 9:11pm PST 
Perhaps a cozy bed and an ID tag? smile
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:58pm PST 
Is Pro Plan what the breeder is feeding him? It's a good idea to start with the same kibble he's used to eating, so you don't add the stress of a new food to the stress of a new home. When he's ready to gradually transition to a new food, you might want to consider one with higher quality ingredients.

Edited by author Fri Dec 14, '12 1:06am PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:35am PST 
I agree, transiting to a higher quality food is a good idea. Do you have puppy treats? A bed is a good idea, is it cold where you live? Maybe a doggie sweater?

Have fun with your new pup.hug
[notify]
Trooper

I'm such a- little trooper!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:41am PST 
Yes, I've got him on the same food she's got him on right now. She was feeding him something else I believe but I think there was a problem or a recall or something. I'm going to transition him at some point but I don't want to upset him at first so I'm going to get a small bag of the Pro Plan to start him on and then transition him later. She's got the paperwork and everything as well--I just didn't think to list it as supplies that I had as I didn't think about that.

I'd like to get him a little bed as well. I didn't think about that as well. I live in Florida. It gets a little chilly sometimes in the mornings, but not really cold, so I'm not sure that he'll need a sweater. We've had a "cold front" the last couple days and it has been in the high fifties, but that's about it so far.

I also think getting him an ID would be a good idea. I didn't think about that since he'll be inside, but I'd like to have his name and my contact info on there just in case he did get loose. That's a good idea.

I haven't bought treats for him yet, but I want to get some for training and stuff. There's just so much out there I'm not really sure what to go with for such a small pup. I haven't bought anything for grooming at home, either. I was figuring I would trust that to the professionals as much as possible...
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 8:21am PST 
I know what you mean about the warm winter, we are in Southern Alabama, near the Mobile area. When Cocoa was really small, he needed a sweater, but you are further south, so maybe not. Cocoa loves to burrow, he sleeps under the covers at night. One of those dog beds that are meant to be cave-like might be just the ticket, or just a blanket in a regular dog bed. Cocoa also likes the beds that have high sides and are just big enough to curl up in. (Cocoa is half Min Pin so they may have similar tastes)

For training consider clicker training. There is an article in this month's whole dog Journal about training really small dogs and the importance of treating them like dogs, not stuffed toys.

Have fun with your new best friend.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 12:08pm PST 
Just a thought but Home Depot around here has some really super cozy dog beds in all sizes. I don't know about HD where you are but they're worth checking out, reasonable price too. Best wishes to you and your new furby!!!
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 5:12pm PST 
Compressed rawhide chewies or deer/elk antlers for puppy teeth (aka as pawrana teeth) that like to chew.

Simple Solutions or Nature;s Miracle for clean-up of potty accidents in the house.

Take a look at the Food and Nutrition forum...lots of good information there. The higher quality food you feed...the less poop you have to pick up. way to go Do you have poo bags?

Doggy first aid kit?

Nail trimmers (if you plan to trim them yourself) and a soft grooming brush?

Training collar?

Congratulations and have fun with your new baby.

cloud 9
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 7:01pm PST 
Puppy kongs filled with treats will keep your new pup from getting bored and provids something to teeth on. Antlers are a great idea and are safe. Just remember also no scolding as positive renforcement works best and gains confidence as well. Take the pup out often and to the same spot and when they potty give a tiny treat and lots and lots of praise, Good Luck and enjoy your new pup
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2