GO!

Puppy vaccines?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:00pm PST 
I have no idea what to do with puppies. I like kissing them, but they really aren't my thing.

I have a friend that just spontaneously got a puppy. I'm at a loss. I will probably write a rant post shortly on this matter.

He came from the shelter 'fully vaccinated', I thought they usually do the first round of shots at around 6-8 weeks? He's 8 weeks old. Does he still need to go in for further vaccinations?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:00pm PST 
Yes, he still needs further puppy vaccinations in the coming weeks. By fully vaccinated they probably meant he's up to date for his age. If it was my puppy, I'd probably take him in for jabs at 12 and 16 weeks. The last round should ideally be given at around 16 weeks to be sure maternal antibodies are no longer preventing the vaccines from being effective.

I'm sure if she calls her vet they can give her more detailed information.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:04pm PST 
That's what I thought. Thank you!

What kind of guidelines can I give her for taking the puppy out? (I have little faith in her investigating on her own or really talking to the vet in-depth about it) Again, this is really not my area.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 11:14pm PST 
Well that's a debate in and of itself. Some people don't feel safe taking their puppy anywhere until it has finished puppy shots at 16 weeks. I personally feel that losing that critical period of socialization is a bad idea.

I took my puppy out the day I picked him up from the breeder at eight weeks with one vaccination, but I was in an area with low parvo/distemper risk, and I only had him on the ground in places I felt it was safe to do so. I wouldn't take a puppy that wasn't fully vaccinated to a place like PetSmart, the dog park, or any other area where lots of dogs have been. Or at least if she takes him places like that, advise her to carry him. I drove out to Los Angeles to get Onyx his 2nd and 3rd vaccinations, so we walked around Hollywood afterward for socialization with crowds, loud noises, strangely dressed people, ect., but I never set him on the ground.

It's really a bit of a balancing act between socialization and keeping them safe. Yes, taking a puppy out before 16 weeks always poses some risk, but if you're smart about it the risk can be minimal, and to me the benefit of having a really well socialized dog is worth it.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:53am PST 
How can you not love puppies!?! They are awesome! I can still remember when Eduardo was a puppy. I miss those days. I don’t think it’s fair or kind to judge somebody for his or her decision on getting a dog or puppy. So, the shelter pumped this puppy full of unnecessary vaccines? Not a good start to life. Only a rabies vaccine is needed at 12 months of age, no more!
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 9:05am PST 
What I did with The Moose is I got online and checked to see what the parvo situation was like in my county. It was low, very little reports of parvo so I felt better about walking Moose around my neighborhood. Where luckily he got lots of interaction with people, kids and dogs.

I would suggest going online and checking to see what Sonoma County's got going on with parvo cases.
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 4:31pm PST 
Just a little FYI 30-40% of puppies who catch Parvo have had one more more of the vaccines. Their immune systems don't develop until six months so giving a shot before then is risky and not really fully beneficial. I'd suggest doing some research about animal's immune systems and get a better understanding of when to get vaccines (if you must) The best thing to do is feed him a diet where his gut doesn't have to work alot and his immune system can build up until he's old enough. I'd suggest adding enzymes to his food and also googling how to prepare the pup's body for the live vaccine he'll be getting. Since he's come from a shelter, I'd be willing to bet his immune system needs some work before his body is ready for the attack.
[notify]