GO!

Puppy Biting - whats normal, whats not?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:24pm PST 
Scruffy sometimes gets a little bit mouthy when I have to pill him. If I press on Scruffy's tongue he gets annoyed and bites down and holds onto my fingers. thinking
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:00pm PST 
Forgot to add: Scruffy gets pilled then he gets his food. He is very food motivated and will get riled up over food because he so excited to eat. Once he sees the pill popper he runs over and sits expectantly because he knows the pill popper means food, so he gets excited when he sees it.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:10pm PST 
You're probably not doing it right, but of course "right" in your case doesn't have an application (meaning you are not going for the spit out response) as you are looking for mouth receptiveness. There is a reflexive response of dogs to turn their heads to the side and wiggle their jaw (not close) in response to expelling the object. Pressing on the tongue (with an index finger) also naturally is pushing the tongue farther back in the mouth, an uncomfortable pre-gag sensation, so all they'll want to do it expel, not chomp. As noted, it is reflexive and pretty quickly discourages hand chomping by making it unpleasant.

I went ahead and filmed THIS video to describe. Of course not precise, as here you are forcing your hand into the dog's mouth, which is sort of harassing, whereas for puppy he's put your mouth in his hand and you are offering an unpleasant sensation to override his state of drive. But this response is no fail...the dog's response is reflexive and makes them think twice about the joys of hand chomping. Unless you have a Giant Schnauzer, who learns to put the hand but not the fingers in wink

You will note after doing this she has no problem moving back into my hand. This is an English....very soft dog. Still seeking contact. Jumped off the bed to frolic after I finished filming. I also filmed a very different dog, a Pit foster who is huge jawed and also high energy. You'll see in him a mirrored response....head to the side, trying to jaw the finger out. No worse for wear. That video, for mirrored response, is HERE

The question may come up...isn't this teaching a puppy to be resistant of a hand in his mouth? That's actually a good question, if one were thinking it. I am just anticipating wink

Generally speaking, most dogs will typically associate this with mouthing your hand. Certainly, it's not much more than harassing to open their mouths and push your finger down. I've pilled the setter so know she's fine, and the Pit tolerates anything, because he's a Pit and as a "person" just a real good guy wink For a puppy, they are usually stimulated and will associate this with their own action, and of course do as I do....stroke their muzzle after slowly to reaffirm the benefits of your touch. This sort of response would (hopefully) go in tandem with them (puppies) being conditioned to having their mouth handled....tooth brushing, lifting their lips with praise and rewards during the handling process. When comfortable with that, they should let you open and close their mouths...again, praise and rewards. And then build tolerance/acceptance for a finger sliding in, emulating pill giving. I think, incidentally, these vids show having a finger on a tongue is not too comfortable. I always pill avoiding the tongue generally, which is a very touch sensitive body part.

I've yet to have a puppy suffer from the mixed messages, as these are two different actions. Puppies are usually in happy mode when mouthing your hand, and in WTF mode when you are handling their mouths for inspection, so the processes do differ (the priming of the dog, so to speak) and the associations along with them.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 5:12pm PST

[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 6:59pm PST 
Scruffy is a mutt, and if you believe his DNA test he is a Lab/Dogo/Chow/Mix. He get really excited for meal time, which also means pill time. He used to always turn his head away if I pressed on his tongue if he got mouthy, and now he will chomp down or hold onto my fingers if I press on his tongue if he gets mouthy. If he chomps or holds onto my fingers I just say "ah ah" and he lets go and backs off. After being pilled he was always rewarded with pets and face scratches and food, all of which he loves.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 7:10pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:12pm PST 
Naughty Scruffy laugh out loud Haven't heard of that one before, but you seem to have it sorted!

I think the cool part about puppies is that they really aren't particularly serious with anything they do. That's what I always try to remind people. They are highly distractable and typically are just toeing and figuring out how the environment works. I've honestly never known the finger press not to work within a couple of tries. Then they think the wiser of it. Then figure out they can pull on your pants leg or bite on your ankle and then you're back to square one laugh out loud

Bull Terrier puppies are a major PITA to raise. I saw the poster on another thread asking how to keep them on Santa's good list. Ha! Santa crossed them off the list a long time ago for capricious demolishing of stuffed stockings and the pulling down of nicely decorated trees laugh out loud

I......LOVE........puppies laugh out loud
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:39pm PST 
Scruffy can be a jerk sometimes. laugh out loud He is fine with being pilled, but sometimes he can be a butt about it because he gets so excited for food time, lol. I figured the tongue press would have worked on him because he is a big softy, but I guess it was just so annoying to him and he had to scold me by holding my fingers and giving me the stink eye. laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

I have to meet any terrier that was on Santa's nice list! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 7:45pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:19pm PST 
silenced................laugh out loud
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:45pm PST 
But I figure Santa gives all puppies a free pass and puts them on the nice list. laugh out loud
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 7:17am PST 
I really don't feel sticking your hand in her mouth is necessary or putting fingers on tongues or whatever. More hassle than it's worth. I remember when Missy was a pup and i first attempted holding her mouth shut...just made her come back twice as hard after i let her go. Absolutely useless. I think she enjoyed the actual physical contact. The best thing i found was giving her time-outs, like i described in my first post here. Redirecting her onto a toy just kept the fun going and that's not what i wanted at the time so all games ended until she'd calmed down.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 12:10pm PST 
Holding the mouth shut seldom works. Dogs aren't going to quite understand the point and for something like a terrier, it is usually arousing wink

It can depend on the breed. Bull Terriers are extremely difficult because they are the most game and tenaciousness of all dogs. Distractions with them can be really difficult (their determination is way above that of normal dogs, lol!) and out times often under effective because they'll just wait it out and resume laugh out loud

OP needs to take a long breath......it's going to be a looooong ride. But her puppy is happy, and that's where she should feel good. It's two years of boot camp, do your work right and you are good way to go Well SORTA....it IS a Bull Terrier laugh out loudbig laugh This video does not show an under exercised dog, but rather a breed trait wink You have to love these guys.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4