GO!

Question for those who walk multiple dogs

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:40pm PST 
Hello. (:
I was just wondering how some of you walk with multiple dogs? Do you have a two-way connector? Two separate leashes? One dog on each side or both to your left?

Thank youuu ♥
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:45pm PST 
My two big pup on one leash with a Coupler. And Dubs on the other leash.

I have them out in front of me, to prevent tangles. I have not had any problem with them thinking this means they are in charge, in spite of cautions against the practice.
[notify]
My Lucky8

big packs rule!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:51pm PST 
nope. all my dogs are pretty different in size so they don't work too well with a coupler. And i like to have control of each individual dog.
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:02pm PST 
I walk on two separate leashes.

For potty walks they usually are on the same side cause there is grass only on one side of the sidewalk in most places.

For actual walking they are each on one side of me.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:03pm PST 
2 dogs on each side, they each have their own leash...
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:09pm PST 
I've tried couplers before but I didn't like them much.
I prefer to only walk as many dogs as I have hands for, so usually two (if I have 3, I usually try to get someone to walk with me and hold one leash.) So usually I have one leash in each hand.
[notify]
Morgana

THROW THE BALL- THROW THE BALL

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:21pm PST 
I walk the 4 on seprate leads
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 3:25pm PST 
Harlow you must have big sidewalks!

Thanks for the answers guys. I always walk Nare to my left in a kind of heel-ish position without the focus and if I were to take another dog with us I didn't know where I would put them lol.

Savannah do you know if you put a connector on a dog who knows how to LLW and one who doesn't really know how, if the experienced one kind of guides the untrained one? thinking
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 4:34pm PST 
I tried a coupler for my two dogs but it didn't work out. Lizzie has a beautiful LLW, and Sarah, being a beagle mix, likes to charge out in front. I found they weren't pulling on me, but they were dragging each other around like crazy. So no, one good walker on the coupler doesn't necessarily help guide the other dog (at least in my experience). Plus, they don't always like being so close to each other. I now walk three dogs all together on three separate leashes.
One thing that I do like to use is a leash that has hooks on both ends. If I don't have a foster, I'll use that leash to walk the girls. It gives them each about 5 feet of leash, but I only have to worry about holding on to one leash, but still have individual control over each dog.
[notify]
Monty RL1- AoE CGC

I think I'm a- king among dogs

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 4:45pm PST 
In regards to putting a good walker on a coupler with a bad walker, IME the bad walker drags the good walker all over the place and both are miserable frown

Once Monty and Walter were both walking nicely, I put a coupler on them and they walk on my left, with Walter always on the inside. The puppy walks on my right because she's not a very good walker yet. I've played with having her on my left and I think she will be transferred there once she's doing better. I love my coupler for the trained dogs, it makes things more comfortable for me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4