GO!

Pug a Bully Breed?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Sat Jun 26, '10 8:44am PST 
Ok so I have a question.

Bandit's a Puggle. We have a friend with an Olde English Bulldogge. Our friend (the owner) was telling us the Pugs are also a bully breed (like her dog).

shock

Seriously? I was like "are you sure, I don't think so", and in her usual convincing tone ASSURED me that pugs, and other flat nosed breeds are indeed bully breeds.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you pug savy dogsters out there have heard this before. I mean, I'm not an expert on dog breeds, there could be something in the pug lineage I'm unaware of, but I never knew of any bully breed blood lines getting mixed in there.

Thanks for the education! blue dog
[notify]
Petri

Barked: Thu Jul 1, '10 6:56pm PST 
No way!!! Pugs are lovers not fighters. She must be thinking they are related to bull dogs? My pug likes to put on a mean face for bicycles, skate boards, scooters, and anything else with wheels, but she sure runs the other way when a big noise is made! Plus she is not confrontational at all with other dogs... she could care less about them cheer
[notify]
Julian

Serious as a- heart attack.

Barked: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:56pm PST 
Pugs are a Molosser breed, which I find amusing, but it's true. So are Boston Terriers. They are considered small mastiffs, as are all the bulldogs. So yes, your pug is a bully descendent, although they were bred specifically for companionship and nothing else. They never guarded, fought, or hunted boar! Pugs were once called Dutch Mastiffs, I believe. Good question!
[notify]