GO!

Controlling the Shedding of my Pug?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥Harl- ey - CGC- SDIT

The ultimate- oversized lap- dog

Barked: Thu Apr 23, '09 11:46pm PST 
Ok well Harley is my first Pug and I am in love. But I had no idea before I got him (even if I had known nothing could have stopped me from getting him) that they shed SOOOOOO much. I mean I have consulted the vet and breeder and they say it is very normal in Pugs. Nevertheless it is constant and EVERYWHERE. I have never had a dog shed so much every day, and we have decided to try from another human baby. I think all the hair will be all over the bottles, binkies, etc. would freak me out a little. Is there anything I haven't tried yet to cut back on the shedding. I have the Furminator and I bathe him once a week, any other suggestions?
[notify]
Princess

EVIL GENIUS!!

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 4:56pm PST 
WOW. I saw the picture on yur profile, with Harley and the Furminator.

Gosh, that's alot.
My chihuahua also has shedding problems. =/
Good luck, though.
[notify]
Lilo

Lilo has a- perfect cinnamon- roll tail

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 9:17am PST 
My shar-pei/ chesapeek bay retriever( Brutus may he rest in peace) had a severe shedding problem.Our vet suggested a diet supplement called " missing link" and salmon oil that that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These can be added to the food, oil first so the missing link has something to adhere to. Costs about $20 each, sold in quantities that last for months, but well worth it. This combination solved our shedding problem.little angel
[notify]

Budee

Can you scratch- my back, please?

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 3:10pm PST 
Buddy Sheda A LOT! Right when he gets off the couch there is a giant pile of fur right where he was sitting.
[notify]
♥Harl- ey - CGC- SDIT

Barked: Wed May 20, '09 10:46pm PST 
Wow thank you so much Lilo I'll have to try it! I know it is a LOT of hair and even more comes out when i scrub him in the bath.
[notify]
Chyna

Barked: Sun May 31, '09 7:34am PST 
I have found that with my own pugs and many of the foster pugs that I have through pug rescue, feeding them a quality food that does not contain corn, soy, wheat and some of the other fillers helps. There are times that they will still shed more then usual, but I also use a furminator with them which helps. I will also take them outside and rub them to help get a lot of the loose hair out.
[notify]
♥Harl- ey - CGC- SDIT

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 1:29pm PST 
Good advice. I use the best quality food out there according to my vet and I do have a furminator. I took Lilo's advice and got the "Missing Link" and it has not completely ended the shedding. But let me tell you it has made a HUGE different. It's gone from vacuuming every day to a FULL tank of hair to now about 1/3 full of hair.
[notify]
Griffin

Boyfriend

Barked: Tue Jun 2, '09 6:11pm PST 
Bathing once a week is great. I use the Buddy Wash brand, and it is all natural and smells great. Get a good grooming brush for before and after the bathing. That helps, too.
[notify]
Tubby

Multo en Parvo-A- lot in a little!

Barked: Sun Jun 14, '09 11:42am PST 
It sjust part of having a pug. Personally I dont even see my pugs as shedding to much since I have a lab mix who sheds much more then the pugs. Shedding is gernally the first think you learn when you research the pug breed. I agree with the baths, but pugs shed no matter what. I do think black pugs shed slightly less then fawns
[notify]
Fancy

Cover Hog!

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 10:56am PST 
Oh yes! The never ending shedding of a Pug.. My mommy brushes me everyday, and gives me regular baths where she scrubs me while she washes me. You cannot slack on brushing, otherwise the coat will be full of hair, very messy, and most importantly.. very uncomfortable for the puggy!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2