GO!

Is my pomeranian a throwback?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
D'artagnan

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:41pm PST 
My pomeranian just came back from the vet; he weighed in at 5.6 lbs. He is 11 weeks 3 days old. His papers say he's a pure breed pomeranian. He's off the charts, literally (from the growth charts I could find online). I'm wondering is he one of these "throwbacks" or just a normal pomeranian who is slightly larger? Any educated guesses on what his size might be as an adult would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by author Tue Feb 12, '13 7:03pm PST

[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 11:29pm PST 
He's going to be big. My biggest Pom weighed 6.6 at 21 weeks and he's 12 pounds. My younger Pom was 4 pounds at 5 months. Now he's around 5-6 at 24 weeks. So, my guess is your Pom will be around 15-20. It happens sometimes. My Poms parents was 5 and 6 pounds and he's 12. Could your Pom be overweight or did the vet say he's the right size?
[notify]
D'artagnan

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:44pm PST 
Thanks for the response! The vet said he was around the right size. And when I pick him up I can feel his ribs too so I don't think he's fat... Do you think we might have been lied to about his age or maybe even his breed? Unfortunately, we didn't get him from the most reputable breeders...
[notify]

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:33am PST 
His paws are big like he's going to a Med. sized dog. He could be mixed with in the German Spitz Group. Pomeranian fall into the Spitz groups as well as larger breeds like the Keeshond. Your dog looks like it could be Keeshond/Pom mix. I love your dogs colors. Blue/Tan is hardly seen. He may be mixed with a smaller German Spitz.Click on the link.

Adult Keeshond
[notify]
Teddy

My little Teddy- Bear

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:06pm PST 
He has very pretty coloring!
[notify]
Wicket

Did you say go?- I'm in!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:12pm PST 
A throwback isn't necessarily a mixed breed. Poms used to be larger over a hundred years ago. He is a handsome boy, lovely color.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:59pm PST 
He is really gorgeous! Love his coloring! I think his paws just look big in the first picture. I have no clue how big he will get but he looks like a pom to me.
Did the vet confirm his age? He looks older.
boy he sure is sweet looking. Congratulations on your new pup.
[notify]
D'artagnan

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 6:25am PST 
Thanks again for all of the responses. And yes, the vet was fairly confident that he is around that age. And I believe his age is correct based on his teeth- he has just lost some of his baby teeth and his adult premolars are coming in (all other teeth are his baby teeth). Also when we bathed him, his paws seemed to be his biggest feature and he seemed really lengthy. Also, we just weighed him in at 6.2 lb yesterday and how he's 13 weeks now. Maybe the ACA papers were falsified and he's actually a mix. Someone suggested he might be a pom/keeshond mix based on his current size and color. My family owns keeshonds so I know they are much larger, but it almost looks like he has those trademark spectacles that keeshonds have. Is he considered a "blue" Pomeranian?
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 10:20pm PST 
Yes he would be considered a Blue/Tan. I have heard of some Pure Poms being around 20 pounds, so yes he could just be a throwback Pom. Blue is a dilute of the color black. Did you get to see the parents? Are they big as well?

I use this growth calculator and it's okay with accuracy. It lets you type in the weight instead on looking at the chart.The calculator says 12.4 pounds, so that not super large. As, one of my Poms is 12 pounds, which is Cam. The charts and calculator did say 8 pounds for him, but he's probably a little chucky lol.His parents were 5 and 6 pounds

http://www.puppyweights.com/

Edited by author Wed Feb 20, '13 10:29pm PST

[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:52pm PST 
My boys charted under 6 and they weigh around 8 and they are not chunky.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2