GO!

Would another dog be right for my doggie and I?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Sep 8, '12 9:48pm PST 
Right now he's 1 and half years old, I'm considering getting another Pomeranian, I'm sure which sex yet. My male isn't neutered but if I get a female then she would be spayed. Anyway, I'm not sure how he would react with a new puppy. He's good with other dogs when we go out to places, but he has a high cat drive. He goes crazy when he sees a cat. He also rips his toys apart, sometimes he play rough as he gets carried away with his playing. He still acts like a puppy. Do you think he would be okay with another dog(puppy) being that Pomeranian puppies are tiny. If so should I get a male or female.
[notify]
Artemis- Entreri

Master Assassin!

Barked: Wed Sep 12, '12 8:20pm PST 
I've never heard of a Pom having prey drive towards another small breed dog. I honestly think that would be extremely unlikely. I'm not sure if you should get a male or female. I've never owned two intact males before, so I'm not sure how they would get along. Maybe someone more familiar with that will come around. Sorry that doesn't help much. I personally went with a male this time, Sky's spayed, and I have not noticed a difference in the way Skyline treats him versus how she treated family male and female dogs or Lilith.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '12 8:37pm PST 
I have 3 males but they are all fixed and they get along great together. I say definitely yes! They are so fun to watch playing together. They sound quite vicious at times but it's all in good fun.
[notify]

Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 8:38pm PST 
I think having two dogs is a great idea- double the cute, double the love, double the fun! My two just love having eachother to run around and play with big grin And I don't think you would have a problem with Cam attacking the puppy or being too rough or anything like that- just supervise their time together, and once the pup is big enough to play, Cam will probably be thrilled to have a playmate smile In terms of gender, I've heard that male/female pairings work best together since it's the least likely combo to ever fight- no SSA (same sex aggression- which can be pretty bad) ever occurs. If it were me, and I were keeping my male intact, I would probably get a female and have her spayed... I love me some male pommies, no doubt I somewhat prefer them to females since they tend to be more affectionate and people-focused on average, but I would worry that two intact males would get into a marking contest in my home and once that nonsense starts, they say it's a hard habit to break. Then again, I've never owned two intact males at the same time so I don't really know if that worry is something that would actually come true shrug

Really though, I think it boils down to your preference gender-wise and the personality of the dogs that will be living together- plenty of people have female-female or male-male dog households that never have issues with SSA. Just go with your gut when the time comes to pick another puppy- one will surely tug at your heart and you will know it's supposed to be yours, be it male or female! Good luck with whatever you end up deciding smile
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:47pm PST 
I decided I'm going to get a male. Hopefully an all black boy.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 9:32pm PST 
I'm all for a black pom!cheer
Are you going to rescue or breeder? Excited for you. Can't have to much pommie fun!
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 4:00pm PST 
Mostly likely a breeder because its so hard to find black Pom in rescue. I had been looking at my shelter and the rescue in my state but they rarely have Poms and when they do they get adopted so fast. I know I want to rescue in the future.
[notify]