GO!

Pom Behavior in Public Places

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 2:11pm PST 
My puppy Ty is now about a little over 3 months old. He is the sweetest little thing. He loves to cuddle with his Mama smile and he is fine around everyone in the house. When new people come in the house he always barks a lot & growls at first but usually after he smells them & figures out they are ok he is fine. When I have to take him places however, he always growls at everybody & barks. I want my dog to be friendly with everyone frown I want to be able to walk him at the lake & him not growl at everyone. He is just a young puppy right now & hasn't ever bitten anyone but I'm afraid when he gets older I will just have to put him in a different room when people come over because he might get more aggressive later...Someone told me if was because I baby him around too much & hes just trying to protect me. I would like to know what I should do about this behavior, or if it is just in the Pomeranian' nature? I have heard they are a protective & tempermental breed. Any advice is greatly appreciated...Thanks!!!!!! smile
[notify]
Cam

Birthday Boy

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 1:03am PST 
My Pom who is almost two years old, barks at when he hears someone knocking or a loud noise or strangers, but when he finds out people are okay he is fine. I don't mind he barking when we are home to let us know someone is there. He hear noises that I can't even hear. When we are in public my dog never growls or barks at people, he greets them when I allow him too. Most of the time he is shy and hides. Your dog is young so you should be able to correct the behavior. I would use a command like "quiet" when he growls or barks at people when he is on a walk when he quiets say good boy or if you train him with treat take some treats on a walk and use the same command "quiet: and give him a treat when he stops. He will learn we you say quiet he shouldn't growl or bark at people. Make sure you do it at home as well when he is meeting new people.

Good Luck with your pup!

Edited by author Thu Aug 23, '12 1:05am PST

[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '12 12:25pm PST 
Thanks so much the advice!!!!! I will try it!
[notify]