GO!

Park Question

This is the place to talk about anything and everything dog related going on where you are or where you've been with your best furiend! All those who enjoy taking their dogs out gather here to share info on local dog-friendly places and find out about meet ups with other dog owners in your area! Check out Dogster Local for pet-friendly products and services in your neighborhood!

Bono

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 4:02pm PST 
Do dog parks in your areas have any dog treat vendors? We're a start up business in San Antonio, and I'm trying to convince the parks department here that there IS a need for this, thanks for the feedback

Edited by author Mon Jun 20, '11 5:29pm PST

[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 4:04pm PST 
None that I know of, but GREAT idea!! smile
Good luck with your new venture!
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 4:37pm PST 
No, they don't. And it could be a really good idea - BUT I guess it would depend upon how it is executed. It's generally a really bad idea to have food around a bunch of dogs that are strangers to one another. In fact, some dog parks I've been to have a no food rule.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Jun 20, '11 4:56pm PST 
Like I responded in the other thread you did - no food or treats allowed at all in the dog parks here.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 4:16am PST 
I think if it's marketed so that treats and stuff are bought on the way out, it could work. I think I would love to come out of a dog park and find wholesome, nutritious snacks that I could buy on the spot to take home.

I do agree that the key would be not having folks take it into the park. I think you will find in almost all cases, that dog parks discourage and sometimes prohibit bringing food into the park because of obvious reasons.

Good luck...hopefully the idea can be spun so that you get a good opportunity from this way to go
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 1:29pm PST 
I think that would be a very bad place to sell dog treats, right by a dogpark thinking So many dumb people would buy them on the way IN to a park, not the way out! Can you say dog fights?????
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 2:03pm PST 
I have to agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to have food at a dog park. What other venues have you considered? What sort of business is it? Do you make the treats, or are you a distributor? Street fairs, farmers markets, and outdoor concerts - places where leashed dogs are welcome, would be a better target.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jul 17, '11 5:23pm PST 
It always amazes me the amount of people who come into the dog park with treats and then go on a tirade about all the dogs jumping on them!

I'm not opposed to the vendors. I think they'd be good in a way. Just have to market them as after dog park treats (keep them out of the actual dog park). Or put a warning about entering the park with treats in hand.

I think you could very easily earn a pretty penny though.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 5:31am PST 
Yeah, obviously its amazing idea man, and try it and enjoy it, and share your response with us too, it will be more fun and help here after your discussion.
[notify]
Chase

Life's too short- to be bored

Barked: Sun Dec 25, '11 10:20am PST 
I don't welcome vendors at my dog park because I do not go to the dog park to spend money or be targeted by a business looking for customers. I just want to be able to enjoy my time with my dog and be left alone. I want the dog park to be refuge from all the crap I deal with everywhere else, like marketing and advertising and people looking to sell me stuff. All that should matter is my dog. It's my dog's time.

I get majorly annoyed by one local dog sitting business who shows up at the park to leave magnets with their phone number on the metal benches, because they try to talk to me and other dog owners. I feel cornered and distracted from watching after my dog, and I resent it.

As for food, most dog parks ban food for a reason. Food is a resource that triggers pack behavior in dogs, which can cause a lot of conflict among dogs that don't know each other well. Some dog have food aggression. Others get overexcited by food or become competitive. And in the case with my Chase, some dogs have to be a restricted diet. Besides, the human with the food becomes the focal point of the social activity, and the dog park ceases to be a dog park where dogs can socialize and play on their terms and turns into a dog feeding park.
[notify]