GO!

Is it really hard to get a Pharaoh Hound in the US?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Grover

CGC - tummy rub,- please

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 2:54pm PST 
I'm just curious... They are beautiful... Are there breeders in the US?
[notify]
Ra

Anything that- squeaks must- DIE!

Barked: Wed May 23, '07 3:17pm PST 
Yes there are!
Finding them is another story!
I searched for almost 5 months before I contacted a breeder who was still either living in the US or was still breeding.
It was WELL worth the wait!
[notify]
Grover

CGC - tummy rub,- please

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 8:28am PST 
Does the breeder have a website? We'd be interested in checking it out, and finding out more about you beautiful dogs!
[notify]

Ra

Barked: Wed May 30, '07 1:03pm PST 
Well for starters you MUST visit the Pharaoh Hound club of America site. It's loaded with cool information on the dogs, what to expect form the breed and what you shoudl know about them.

http://www.ph-club.org/

Also, you can find all you need to know about the breed from the AKC site on the Pharaoh hound page.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/pharaoh_hound/index.cfm

Here is a page on the AKC site where you can find breeders/rescues in your specific area.

http://www.akc.org/classified/search/index.cfm?cde_bvg_num= 421

They are beautiful dogs, what made you interested in the breed?

Edited by author Wed May 30, '07 1:03pm PST

[notify]
Grover

CGC - tummy rub,- please

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 12:24pm PST 
We love the way the look of course, but realy they just look more "balanced" then greyhounds which we like. Because we're such an athletic family, we would like to add another similarly driven family member. I first became aware of this breed when a rescue in GA posted a PH mix. I did some reserach on them, and consequently fell in love. Especially when one site said, "would like daily bike rides" or something to that effect. We cycle all year round and are competitive cyclists and require that our dogs keep up in our rides. We also trail run, swim, and row so they have to travel to all of our races (biweekly), camp and be basically active. That's why we would be interested in finding moreabout this breed. Thanks for all of your help!
[notify]
Xerxes

I'm supposed to- look skinny!!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 2:00pm PST 
Where in the US are you located? Before you absolutely set your heart on a PH, you need to meet them in person.
[notify]
Ra

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '07 9:54pm PST 
I agree with Xerxes.
You'll fall in love with their smiles in photographs, but you really should meet them.
They are high energy, so for you that may be a plus, but there are always other factors (such as personality, and can you handle a dog who doesn't always think that he needs you?) that may cause you to rethink or dive in! Pharoh Hounds love their humans, but Ra is very independent and very 'selective' in his hearing and understanding. Pharaoh hounds not only need activity, but an owner who is smarter, quicker witted, and just as wacky as they are.
Where are you located?

Edited by author Sat Jun 9, '07 9:54pm PST

[notify]
Grover

CGC - tummy rub,- please

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '07 10:09pm PST 
We're in Durango, CO. I don't mind dominating personalities because both my fiance and I have infinitely more patience. I grew up with Dobermans, and my fiance grew up with Labs. We currently have a hybrid (50% content) and a Basenji mix, both of whom think are very independent, but both of whom have been trained to the point that they do great off leash. Both are breeds that when I got them we were told it (trust off leash) would never happen, and that they would be home wreckers, and boy did they try. Both are escape artists, and as a team they are fabulous hunters (though something I discourage). We always look for a challenge! Though we would still love to meet a couple of Pharaoh in person!
[notify]
Xerxes

I'm supposed to- look skinny!!!!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 9:07am PST 
If you're in CO, the closest breeders to you would be in either Northern CA, or in TX. The problem at this point is that not many litters are being whelped due to the high numbers in rescue at this point. You really need to go to the PHCA website and contact the rescue chairperson. I think in the year 2007 there were somewhere around 20 PHs in rescue. I know that doesn't seem like a high number to many breeds, but consider that there are maybe 1200-1500 PHs in the US at any given time. 20 is more than 1% and that's alot.

It's true that the PHs aren't, generally speaking, as independent as a Basenji, but alot of the independence factor is specific to the individual. I fostered a PH bitch that wasn't satisfied unless she was in a human lap. My boy, on the other hand, is content to know where I am and keep me in visual contact-for the most part. If given the opportunity between keeping me happy or chasing a deer-the deer will win 100% of the time.
[notify]
Aladdin

I am left- handed!

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 9:16pm PST 
Everyone seems to beating around the bush here but I got my rescue through the help of Pam Haig, the head of the Pharaoh Hound Club of America. My dog was bred in Atlanta, Ga. So don't let people say it's only a few states . Try miapharaoh@aol.com. She will set you straight.

I wanted a rescue but from what I could tell through personal search, pups were being born all over.

Edited by author Mon Sep 29, '08 9:19pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2