GO!

hot spots, please help

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Brandi- Alexander- Stockwell

Brandi born to- have my belly- rubbed

Barked: Thu Jan 1, '09 8:10am PST 
Hi my name is Brandi. I keep getting hot spots.My mom keeps putting this big plastic thing over my head so I can't bite at them. She is giving me predisone & benidril. She shaved the area and puts basitracin on but its not going away . I am suffering can someone please help
[notify]
Gizmo

Happy Spring- everyone!

Barked: Thu Feb 12, '09 10:07am PST 
Our Peke does the same thing at times.Mostly biting at his side and at the base of his tail.I am trying to get an answer too.The vet says he is flea allergic but he has no fleas.I feel your pain as this is very annoying.
[notify]
gizi

i'm the boss!

Barked: Wed Feb 18, '09 12:56am PST 
My last dog had hot spots there are only three things that i ever found that worked.
1. Sulfodene Its a yellow oil you can get at petsmart, apply it with a cotton ball
2. Gold bond medicated powder
3. Avon's skin so soft. put in a spray bottle with warm water and spray directly on the hot spots.

It is also good to start using a soothing shampoo for when you bathe them, like an oatmeal shampoo.
[notify]

Milo

Mr. Cutie- Patootie

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 11:35am PST 
Great advice Gizi, oatmeal shampoo and baby powder usually helps to alleviate the problem.

Edited by author Tue Dec 1, '09 11:35am PST

[notify]
Brandi- Alexander- Stockwell

Brandi born to- have my belly- rubbed

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 6:30am PST 
We were recently told that a mixture or 1/2 white vinegar & 1/2 water will help.We have not tried it as yet. We have been shaving the hot spot area and applying a product called Sovereign Silver it is a homeopathic medicine first aid gel that we purchase at Whole Foods.It seems to be working. hope that this helps all of you and thank you for your help.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 8:47pm PST 
My newly purchased Pekingese also gets hot spots, and I was told that it was because he is allergic to certain foods, and is on a special diet. You might want to try a different food to resolve hot spots. We've resolved ours. Rebecca
[notify]