GO!

New puppy owner here and pup won't eat from his bowl

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Buddy

Barked: Tue Dec 30, '08 3:55pm PST 
Hi everyone,
I bought my girls a Pekingese for Xmas and have had it since that morning.

The only problem is he doesn't seem to like to eat out of his bowl. Like a dummy though, I would put food in my hand and he'll eat a good amount from here. Other than that, he won't eat. I have been giving the same food that the breeder was giving just to be consistent.

Also, can I just give my puppy tap water to drink? I told my coworker that I was doing that and she looked at me like I should be reported to the humane society.

Thanks and I look forward to visiting this forum alot more now!
[notify]
Rusty

I eat healthy, i- think better

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '09 6:21am PST 
hi
I have a 2 and a half months pekingese "Rusty"... i used have the same problem from time to time. He would sit in front of his bowl and wait for me to feed him. I gave him Pro-Pet food. sometimes i just used to feel that he's not hungry and not interested in his food. But than i figure it out that maybe ha wants his food a little dry cause i mix it with lukewarm water and once i reduced the amount of water i mix with his food and he started to eat on his own and it works wonderfully. We wiped his face every time he finished eating and maybe, ha doesn't want to get dirty wink the same might work for you! Try it
[notify]
pucco buster

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 2:05pm PST 
wow. it sounds like these cute little pekes are all alike. mine peke also has to be be hand fed and he is ten years old and will rarely eat from the bowl.
[notify]

Milo

Mr. Cutie- Patootie

Barked: Tue Dec 1, '09 10:01am PST 
Neither of my Pekes reject eating from their bowls but my buddies dog refused to eat from the bowl (not sure why, I don't think it was because he wanted to be hand fed) so I advised her to put his food in a saucer or on a plate instead and she did and it worked so I guess it's safe to say he prefers taking his food from a plate and not a bowl. I know a bowl is more work for them to get to their food so maybe your dog is just not interested in doing so much work to get his food. Try a dish or plate and see if it works, if not he probably just wants to continue being hand fed. Hopefully you can break him from that eventually though.
[notify]