GO!

Any Pekes with a bulged disc?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kiara

It's all about- me!

Barked: Fri Oct 10, '08 2:26pm PST 
I was rushed to the emergency vet and it seems I have a bulged disc pressing into my spine. It’s inflamed and if I do anything to aggravate it I will become paralyzed. I’m to stay medicated to reduce the inflammation and pain and to stay away from my precious fur family for 8 weeks hoping this heals up.

Is this problem common in Pekingese? Any other pups have this? I'd love to hear others stories. Thanks.
[notify]
Fred and- Ginger

Barked: Sun Nov 9, '08 4:25pm PST 
Bulged discs are INCREDIBLY common in pekingese due to their short height and long length. my peke was pushed down steps by my sheepdog on accident and now has a bulged disc. The best thing to do for them is to massage their backs where the disc is bulged. What happens is that the muscles are the disc are incredibly tight and cause even more pain to them. Decreasing the amount of tonicity in the muscles will decrease pressure on the disc, ergo the nerve, leading to less pain and less chance of paralyizing accidents. Some Massage Therapists and Chiropractors work on animals with back problems.
[notify]
Toree Lee

Tiny but mighty

Barked: Tue May 11, '10 11:30am PST 
My little boy peke,Bobbee, also has a disk problem. I took him to the vet yesterday and she gave him an anti-inflammatory shot then started him on 20 mg. of prednisone a day.(10 mg. morning and night.) He has temporarily lost the use of his hind legs. He's only 2 years old and I love him dearly. I will do what I must to take care of him and his needs. Anyone with suggestions to make this easier?
[notify]

Jasper

Barked: Sun May 23, '10 6:05pm PST 
Does anyone know if a bulged disc shows up on an xray? Jasper has had 2 sets of xrays, 4 blood tests, 2 urine tests in the last 5 days. He cannot walk anymore and is in extreme discomfort. The vet says that he cannot see any reason why jasper is in pain. When he does walk his back is hunched up peaking in the middle. He has been shaking in his legs when trying to walk and immediately after going to the bathroom, he yelps. The only explanation the vet can give is that he has ripped or torn some muscle or bruised his spine, but I don't see the little guy getting better. I am going for a second opinion but am wondering if any peke owners have any experience with this.
[notify]