GO!

Papillons barking uncontrollably?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeke

I can definatly- fit in your lap!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '07 3:37pm PST 
Now, from what I've read up on Papillons, they are not "yappy" dogs, generally. But I've also heard they have the tendency to sometimes bark none-stop for no apparent reason, or are very hard to stop after a door-bell has ringed or anything startles them, etcetera.

What are your thoughts on this? Does your papillon do this, or can it not be simply trained from it? Papillons being the number one smartest small breed of dog out there, it makes little sense to me. But I did read that more than once, and not just in books and informational sites, but also from reviews "supposedly" from owners.

This made me rethink my choice of a dog, as when I move into an apartment, I would not be able to part with my baby! And I know insistent barking is a "no no", even at houses, but more so in apartments.

I have settled (happily!), I think, with a different breed now, but as It's still months away from getting it, I have not closed all options. I also am looking in shelters,petfinder, etc, too, so I want it a little open. But anyway, I thought I might just see what YOU guys think!

BOL, I've asked so many questions about so many breeds, I'm sure people are getting tiered of it......big laugh

Thankyou!

Edited by author Thu Nov 1, '07 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Elmo

you're a sad- human....

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '07 8:32am PST 
yes, it is true. papillons CAN be yappers. especially when the doorebell rings or they see a cat or a squirrel. it is kind of hard to stop them once they start but they can be trained not to. after all they are the #8 smartest dog breed. and that's saying a lot because there are over 400 breeds!laugh out loud
--Elmo's ownersnoopycheer
[notify]
Zeke

I can definatly- fit in your lap!

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '07 7:24pm PST 
Ah, thankyou very much clearing that up with me! I just wanted to make sure I have the right choice, no regrets, etcetera. many thanks! Oh, and your Pap is gorgious! big grin
[notify]

Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '07 12:00pm PST 
I think that even the most yappiest of dogs can be stopped and trained to stop if you let them yap well course they will yap. I own two papillons. They bark at all normal dog things. Doorbell etc. They bark I say no they sit by my side quietly. No biggy. I used to live in an apartment no problems there. I find mine are protective of me. If any strange person comes to close Daisy especially does growl and snarl and try to go after th em. Which its still controllable and I kind of like the fact that shes there to protect me.
[notify]
Andrew

Naughty n Nice

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:27am PST 
Yes, Paps can be yappy but I don't know that it's all that easy to train them not to bark. Yes, it can be done. . . but most pet owners are not successful at it because you are training against instinct and when you are training against instinct it can be very challenging for the typical owner.
[notify]
Reggie- (Yappy- Pappy)

Yappy Pappy

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 6:09pm PST 
Hi! I'm new, I have a 1 year old pap, and sometimes he's definitely my Yappy Pappy. Once he starts its really hard to get him to stop and he's found that octave, you know, the one that HURTS!? Both cats, and they hubby go running!!!
[notify]
Romeo

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:29pm PST 
My 4 year old pap mostly barks when ever his partner in crime (a large black lab) barks. When the lab thinks he hears someone pull in he is barking wildly, and then the pap starts after that. This can be annoying if you are on the phone!
[notify]
Kujo

Kujo Padfoot the- Vicious, CGC

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 12:07pm PST 
Kujo only yaps at the doorbell or noises in the hallway- usually a sharp "no!" can get him to stop- unless it's someone who I actually have to greet, like the pizza guy. Then it's nigh impossible to get him to stop. But those are rare occasions, as most of my visitors are friends of mine who he knows! He'll give a couple of barks when they first walk in, but as soon as he recognizes them, he just runs in circles wanting pettings!
[notify]
Sawyer

Sawyer the- Warrior

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 8:38am PST 
my papillon wasn't like that first, but my corgi always barks at the door and dogs walking by and he taught it to sawyer. but it isn't nearly as annoying with oski barking since oski has a nice deep bark, but sawyer's is sooo high pitched! i think it mainly happened since sawyer idolizes oski and thinks he's the most amazing thing in the world. sometimes i wonder if he would still bark so much if we didn't have oski..
[notify]
☆Mickey- Mouse☆

Wheres the- Mickey?

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '08 1:48pm PST 
My 7 mo old pap only barks when he is outside. He barks at people and other dogs outside but never barks in the house. I have a german shepard that is 3 and she also only barks when outside never in the house. Even when the doorbell rings neither barks. My pap will whine and whimper when he hears us come in the door (when we are gone he is sectioned off in the bathroom with a child gate).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2