GO!

Help Please

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

River

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 2:22pm PST 
Hi

Need advice on leaving a dog behind on vacation.

My girlfriend of 3 months was getting upset that I don't want to go down south somewhere hot for two weeks each year. Leaving my two 4 year old dogs behind. They have never been apart from me, they are my kids.

She saying I'm choosing them over her.

Any suggestions. Feel like not the right one for me.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 3:12pm PST 
You could take them with you? My two always accompany me on holidays and i can't imagine a holiday without them.
[notify]
River

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:52pm PST 
She did not want them with us. I choose my guys over her. I'm with you, could never leave them behind.
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 7:57pm PST 
Well you know... confidence and security is about being "all grown up"

Sounds as perhaps(and I mean NO offence) there is a little growing up to do on the lady's part.

Perhaps there is a little more going on than you are seeing.

Sit.. talk.. politely and gently but firmly state your case.

I am sure from what you say you would have no worry about staying at home whilst she went.

It may rather define what she too wants.

The dogs were part of the relationship deal...time to meet the promises.

So.. be sure of what you want.. state your case clearly and kindly.. your mind I feel ,is made up.. you are ready to move on.. Perhaps she also needs to get to that point.

All above said in kindness... but as someone who moved 4500 miles to be with my husband.. and he KNEW the dogs were part of the deal.. and has never made its a "me or them".

That is maturity.
[notify]
River

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 8:27pm PST 
Told her from day one I don't go south of the boarder and leave my dogs. Relationship is only 4 months old.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 9:07pm PST 
Then I think you have your answer...
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 4:28pm PST 
Dude, seriously, doesn't sound like ya'll are on the same page. Know how you feel though, I broke up with my fiance....yeah, it took me slightly longer then you to figure out we weren't "meant to be". It doesn't sound like she understands how much your dogs mean to you, and that it isn't necessarily about loving them "more". In my situation, my ex acted like he liked Twister and understood how I felt about him, but after the break-up, one of his complaints about me was "I loved the dog more...and the last time I visited, (and Twist got hurt) she was more concerned about him then spending time with me, even though it was a minor injury"...yeeah, that "minor injury" took 7 stitches to close & a $200 vet bill. Sorry, but wasn't about to ignore his wound. shrug Anyhoo, I would agree with moving on, there is definitely someone out there for you who isn't going to try to change you, or make you choose between them and what you love.way to go
[notify]