GO!

I have to get this off my chest

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Chico

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 6:46pm PST 
I've been registered here since 2007, this is Chico's owner and I'm 22.

I apologize if I've been making a lot of threads recently however, I do feel like I have to post this. I have to get this off my chest.

I've been with Chico since he was teething, which was around 2003. He was given to me as a gift by a family member that I don't see anymore. I was 13 at the time and didn't know a thing about dogs or how to raise them properly. He is well taken care of, always had his shots up to date, good food and clean water. But he was missing out on something big, something which I didn't realize until recently. He has been an inside dog for hist most life. Since he wasn't raised properly he has a tendency to run off when he's not on a leash.

There have been a few times where he ran away and didn't come back until the next day, and I didn't take him on walks because I was fearful of encountering bigger dogs, since there are a lot of big dogs in the neighborhood and they are often let loose to roam around. I didn't allow him to do what dogs like to do, and honestly I feel guilty for that. Keep in mind that he has never been mistreated in any way or form, never abused or anything like that. I love him and I always have.

He's about to be 10 sometime next year, and he has never had a chance to do anything. I guess I took him for granted all those years and thought he was going to be around forever. That's one of the bad things of receiving a dog when you're just a kid. I've grown up, I have a car and I've decided to take him to dog parks and on walks where it's safe. He's a small dog about 15lbs and still full of energy. I know that I haven't been the best owner for the past few years, but I plan to make the most out of the years we have ahead.

Sorry for the long read, but I had to get this off my chest since it's been bugging me for the past few weeks. I hope you all understand. I know it's difficult to try to socialize and older dog but I'm going to try.
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 7:51pm PST 
Also since he wasn't trained properly he will start fights with a lot of dogs. He has broken leashes many times, and I had to end up chasing him for blocks. I guess this is the price I pay for not socializing him early and not training him.

Today I took him to the dog park, and started fights with a couple of bigger dogs but nothing bad. He was just sniffing around the fence most of the time.

Even if he isn't the best trained dog, I still love him wink
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 7:56pm PST 
Since Chico hasn't been socialized with other dogs I wouldn't take him to a dog park. Get a harness and a leather lead and take him for walks. That way you can control where he goes and what he does. It's a big scary world out there and you can't expect him to just fit in. One amazing things about dogs is they live from today forward. Take him out and enjoy him. He doesn't have to be around other dogs to have a good time. Just smelling things is a wonderful feeling for any dog...flowers
[notify]

Chico

Barked: Wed Nov 23, '11 8:42pm PST 
That's true. Whenever I take him on walks he still yanks on the leash quite a bit, I got him a harness because with the collars and all the yanking on the leash made him gag and I didn't like that.

I remember a few years ago, I was walking him around our neighborhood and this pit bull mix was roaming around, unsupervised and off leash he saw us and came running straight at us. Luckily he was just a pup and just wanted to play but if it had been an aggressive dog I think Chico and I could have ended up severely injured.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 5:39am PST 
Yeah, it's a bad idea to take a dog that isn't comfortable and/or is aggressive to other dogs to a Dogpark. Chico himself could end up in a fight that he can't win frown

I'd do as Turner suggested, take him for walks around your neighborhood. Or perhaps you could drive to places where you can walk such as woods or trails or whatever? How about a trip to the pet shop too? I know my two always enjoy a visit there.

Don't beat yourself up to badly about the past. Just concentrate on the future and start having fun together now. Dogs live for the moment so Chico won't be sad about not having had the experiences he should of had. At least you're willing to make it up to him now, that's the main thing way to go
[notify]
Angel Annie

Love my treats,- oh yeah!

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 6:25am PST 
I agree with Turner & Missy. Chico doesn't need to go to a dog park and socialize. Dogs just luv to sniff. I take Annie for walks in our neighborhood and she loves it, doing a lot of sniffing and still getting some exercise. If Chico likes to ride in the car that might be a fun thing, too.

Just try and move forward and enjoy the good times now. Good luck!
[notify]
Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 7:04am PST 
We are sorta the same way only we got Kc when I was 5 and now Im 11. I just recently potty trained her and Im pround she wont have to spend the rest of her life out side, cause that is where she was before since I didnt know but that true: Dont take to the dp if he uncomfortable.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 7:46am PST 
I'm so glad you and Chico are enjoying each other more now.
Since you can't erase the past, move forward and have tons fun, but maybe just not at the dog park.hug way to go
[notify]
Chico

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 2:04am PST 
Thank you all for the help and positive replies! big grin

I didn't take him to the dog park today, because I think he got a little stressed from that. Instead I took him to the trails, and it was really nice there. Not a lot of people either it was just him and I. It was kind of cold and a bit windy but it was a wonderful day. He was sniffing all over the place too!

There is a river that goes along the trail, and there were a lot of ducks and geese in it, and Chico tried to pick a fight with them laugh out loud

I think I'll be taking him there instead of the dog park.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Nov 25, '11 3:16pm PST 
Good choice! way to go Taking Chico in on a trail can be alot of exercise for him! Just focusing on the smells will work his mind loads! cheercheer
[notify]