GO!

Help with collar tags

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 2:58pm PST 
Every time I have to change my dog's tags it's such a headache because I cannot figure out how to open these darn S-hooks. Closing them with pliers is easy but what is the best way to open them again?

I already know about the ring attachments, btw, and I don't like those so I'd prefer to continue using S-hooks.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Sep 20, '11 9:29pm PST 
Carefully. I used to try my best to pry the S hook open again with pliers. That's about all you can do with them anyways, short of cutting them off with a bolt cutter and putting the tags onto a new S hook that is. I know someone who can't open the S hooks so they just keep adding S hooks and tags to their dog's collar every year. (They had multiple issues with the S hooks falling off so they use larger S hooks which need more force to open and close.) I found them to be too much of a pain (plus I had an S hook catch on a blanket while a dog was wearing a collar and my MIL had the same thing happen to her dog), I know you don't like the O rings or whatever they are called but I went to Walmart and picked up a pack of key rings (a.k.a. split rings) and they last way longer than those dinky little rings you get from tag machines. I've put collars through the wash and dryer, tags and all, and the key ring is still going strong. I use the 3/4" key rings, they are big enough for most dogs.

Edited by author Tue Sep 20, '11 9:45pm PST

[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 3:20pm PST 
check these out
http://www.dogtagart.com/dog-tags/accessories

I like the rubit clip, but there are few other cheaper alternatives.
[notify]

H, my angel- in heaven.

Barked: Fri Sep 23, '11 9:42pm PST 
Thanks guys! I've seen those rubit things but I'm not sure about them.
I never thought of keyrings though. I can open those! big grin
The problem with the O rings is they are too small and very hard for me to open as well. All I end up with is frustration and bent fingernails.
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 7:30pm PST 
You can get links that open & close with a little screw thing. They're oval, stainless steel and people use them to attach bird toys to cages. Pet shops should know what they are. They're also in hardware stores but usually in bigger sizes.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Sep 26, '11 11:04am PST 
The way I open S hooks is to take a butter knife and put the tip into one half of the S, with the 'edge' part of the knife facing towards the end of the S (the part that opens). Then slowly press on the knife so it slides through the hook, and since the edge of the knife gets thicker as it goes towards the handle this slowly widens the gap/opening of the hook. I am not sure if my explanation makes sense but that always worked for me with S hooks.
I usually use a split ring though for tags.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '11 6:02am PST 
http://www.petco.com/product/113754/Petco-Reflective-Black-Easy-Tag- Change-Dog-ID-Tag-Fastener.aspx

http://classichound.com/product s/tag-shuttles
[notify]