GO!

Puppy Kisses vs. People Kisses

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Sun Sep 4, '11 12:03pm PST 
We all like to think that when our babies lick us, they're giving us "puppy kisses." I know some people like to debate that assumption and say dogs lick for salt on our skin, etc...

But, whether they lick us for affection or otherwise,....

Are dogs aware that when WE kiss them, we're showing our love? Do they know that that's the human gesture for affection? Or do they think we're trying to take their ears off? What do you guys think? smile
[notify]
Elka, NTD

Where's Gumby?

Barked: Tue Sep 6, '11 9:02pm PST 
I think it depends on how the dog has been approached with "people kisses". For example, Elka's "give me a kiss" cue is accompanied by kissy noises, and she complies happily. She also seems willing to give me some licks back, un-cued, if I kiss her. But I've done this with her since puppyhood, as part of her handling, so she's had no reason to be apprehensive when it comes to that kind of closeness. Other dogs might not have the same view.

I think that's the best I've got wave
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 8:42pm PST 
If I gave mine kisses like they give to me, I'd have a hair ball for sure!laugh out loud

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Thu Sep 8, '11 5:00pm PST 
IDK what to add but when I read the title, I thought it was about french kisssing. laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud laugh out loud
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Fri Sep 9, '11 4:36pm PST 
BOL Yoshi!! laugh out loud Nuuuu... Definitely not about french kissing!

There was this one time I bent down to kiss a shih tzu on the head.... She bit me. shock It was totally my fault, so I apologized to her and walked away. shrug She probably thought I was invading her space.

I love Khloe kisses! cloud 9 But Daegan kisses get messy... The first time I tried to kiss Daegan, he moved his head upward to try and look at me, as if to say, "What are you doing?". He didn't mean to, but he popped me HARD in the mouth with his big ginormous head. It REALLY hurt. eek I don't think his previous mommy kissed him very much. He loves to be kissed now. smile I think he understands it means that I love him.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 5:08am PST 
I don't think they know what our kisses are for exactly, but I think they (specifically our own dogs, not a strangers dog) know that they are not a threatening gesture. Since we often present ourselves in a calm and loving way when planting a kiss on our dogs head (or cheek if you're weird like me and like to kiss your dog on the cheek), I don't think they feel threatened. All my own dogs have always accepted them willingly and not acted nervous - albeit maybe a bit "submissive" at times - when I plant the kiss.

Now, I can't say I've ever tried to kiss a strangers dog on the head. I don't imagine that would go over well... bending over a strange dog that doesn't know you... might scare the dog.

So, I think the situation is circumstantial.

As for dogs licking us, I like to think it's a little of both. There are debates about this to this day within the dog community. Some, as you said, theorize that they like the taste of our sweat (that "salty" taste) but I doubt that's the only reason. If you've a dog like Precious or Sweeney that is obsessive about giving kisses and only to certain people and dogs, you probably do, too. Others theorize that that it's submissive, learned behavior, to feel comfort, or for reasons similar to why they sniff each others butts. Quite interesting to read all the theories, really.

I like to think they're just kisses, personally. But largely because that makes them even better. wink
[notify]
Rayne

~Joji's Girl~

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 8:52am PST 
Both of my dogs ABSOLUTELY adore kisses. Whether they are from me to them, or them to me.

A lot of the time, I think it is a comfort thing for Baybie. When she is scared or worried she will come up and lick my hand and then present her forehead for a kiss. It has always been this way for her, and I think it is just her way of making sure I am still around and that nothing bad will happen. Though she is also very affectionate, and times other then when she is stressed, she will "ask" me for kisses also.

Rayne on the other hand, just loves the attention I think. All day long she will jump into my lap and press her head to my lips. Sometimes I think she thinks it's a game, but other times it seems like she truely just wants a kiss and then runs off to play with Baybie.

So I am not sure if they really get the concept of the whole thing, but I like to think that they are doing it because they love me, and not just because they wanna lick the sweat from my face laugh out loud
[notify]
Jaguar

Meow?

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 4:27pm PST 
I've got one dog who won't stop trying to lick you! XD for that one I think it has to do with taste...since she also licks our tile floor quite often. Lol we have a salt and mineral lick sitting around but she never uses it. =/ haha

My other dog on the other hand, I think she licks as to give affection. ^_^ Whenever you go to kiss on her she turns her head up to kiss you right back. X3
[notify]
Daegan

Roll down the- window!

Barked: Mon Sep 19, '11 5:18pm PST 
Aww such sweet stories. I feel like kissing my babies now. :3
[notify]