GO!

Lights for dog collars for walking at night

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 10:48pm PST 
Anyone have any recommendations for a good light to put on your dogs collar for night walking?

I've purchased 5 or 6 different lights and each and everyone works for approx. a week and then that's it.

I don't know the name brand of the one I liked the most (has an American flag design on the packaging), but they changed the on/off button and everytime the light bumps Mikey's leash or collar or anything, it goes off and I have to stop and bend down to turn it back on again. I do that probably 10 times during the walk.
Then I bought a bigger light and the people at the pet store said it would last a long time. (Again I don't know the manufacturers name, but the light is round and clear plastic. On the light it says "Canine Friendly").
This one seems well built but I had it on his collar/Gentle Leader and everytime he would sniff the ground, it would scrape the ground, so I moved it to his flat collar.
Now the thing goes off at the slightest tap. To turn it on/off you really have to push down on it, but now it's going off if the leash brushes up against it. Frustrating.

Anyone know of a good dog collar light that will last, but isn't so bright that the Space Shuttle can see you walking your dog?
I just want something that can take a few bumps and keep working.
There are parts of my neighborhood that are really dark and the collar light is a must.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 7:49pm PST 
I LOVE these.

I was given one each for the boys..... and have bought some since.

Nitelze Clipon lights

They are bright.. sturdy.... water resistant.....
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Aug 30, '11 7:38pm PST 
I quite like Ruffwear's "Beacon" light.

Or if you want something more like a flashlight, there's the Puplight. I've had mine for years and it works great still. The batteries are easy to replace if they run out. It shines a lot more light out than most of the other lights for dogs.
[notify]

Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Tue Aug 30, '11 10:57pm PST 
The light you describe is the one that Mikey is currently wearing at night. This is the one that he "banged" on the cement as he went to smell something. It dangles from his collar so to bang the ground, it can't hit all that hard.
But, it goes on and off whenever something just brushes up against it. I talked to someone at the pet food store and she told me to bring it in for a refund or exchange, but I'm going to try and see if new batteries help.

I don't know what in the world is so different about my walks with Mikey, but I can't keep a light working for more than a few days before it gives up the ghost.

I did buy a red reflective light once but that thing was sooooooo bright, I was embarrassed by it. I returned it the next day.

I have a new Ruff Wear light that I'm going to try. Hopefully it works longer than a week.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 31, '11 7:40pm PST 
Good luck! Hopefully the Ruffwear one will work for you.
If you were talking about the Puplight, if you can't get a refund from the store I'd email the company. They seem pretty good with customer service. I've never had that problem with it myself, although I guess it must sometimes have hit the ground when I was using it with Ginger since she liked to sniff the scents a lot on walks, with her head down.

Another option if you can't get any lights to work, is to try a reflective bandana, leash or vest or one of the lighted leashes?
I have a reflective and lighted vest called Lighted Lab Coat, it was made by Ruffwear but they stopped making the light-up ones and now only do reflective I think.
I also have a reflective bandana and a reflective vest made by Glow Dog, those are SUPER reflective.
It's the same as this:
http://illuminite.com/clearance/dog-clothes/gb001-reflective- bandanna
[notify]
Dougie

Mr Douglas White- Highland-Terrier

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 4:23am PST 
We've found the difficulty with lights on collars are that if your dog burrows into undergrowth, the light doesn't always show, as your dog's head will be down hiding the light. Lights or indeed collars can easily fall off and we've tried a few types of lights and had issues like lights failing when it rains, clips breaking and the light falling off - we gave up! Last winter we bought a Lumijack dog vest, which is one of the safest products for walking your dog in dim light conditions or even pitch black. The Lumijack dog vest is lit permanently (battery powered-replaceable)so it is superior to a reflective dog coat. Our dog wears his over his winter dog coat, when needed - they are very adjustable, and no worries with this product of falling off or failing in rainy weather,used for the whole of last winter and time to get our Lumijack out again!
http://www.edoglifejacket.com/dog-vests/lumijack-dog-vest/
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 7:51am PST 
I'm going to look up the Lumjack and may invest in some of those. Last year I had the problem with the heads going down and the light disappearing. Plus some I got from Orvis and really liked just didn't last long enough. This year I was thinking of buying a bunch of cheap dollar store mini flashlights...like keychain size. And fastening them to the collars with little cable ties. If they burn out or break I can cheaply replace them.

My pups are bad at dropping tags, so I am not buying anymore pricey ones.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 8:27am PST 
How big is Mikey's neck? We use a miners light intended for humans (Home Depot or Lowe's has them) and just slide it over their heads... The ones we have now are very bright (LED) and have an elastic headband that adjusts to 24". Very durable, lightweight, and the batteries are replaceable.

We also clip a little LED flashlight to the handle of the leash.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 4:54pm PST 
The Ruffwear lighted vest I have uses EL wire, so it sounds kinda similar to that vest.
Here is a site with photos of how the Ruffwear one is lighted:
http://dogthusiast.com/2010/12/08/jogging-or-walking-your- dog-at-night/

I really like it, I wish they still made these!
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Sep 3, '11 11:41pm PST 
I had couple collar light attachments but they never seem to last, as well as a blinking collar (which is blinding to say the least), but I actually settled on a reflective vest which has worked out great since we go on a lot of night walks. Its called vizvest and I got it on ebay for $9, its like $20 on amazon. But I dont know if they have it in your pups size, I think the largest they make is up to 100 lbs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2