GO!

Advice needed!

This is the place for pups to exchange ideas and information about a variety of dog-related topics. Don't furget that there are many great resources on Dogster such as Dogster Answers and Dogster Blogs!

Kuma

Are you gonna- eat that???

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 4:00pm PST 
Dogsters,

I apologize for the long post but I really need some advice from fellow dog lovers.

Back in 2007 I adopted Kuma from a local shelter and we bonded instantly. He was always so happy to see me when I came home and he was glued to side. Then in April 2010 I moved from Washington DC to Atlanta Ga for my job. I couldn't take Kuma with me so I left him with my Dad who I lived with in DC. After I left my Dad would tell me Kuma would sit quietly in front of my bedroom door just staring and always looking for me, this went on for a couple of months.

I wasn't able to visit my Dad until January 2011 and when I walked in the door Kuma didn't recognize me and was quite disappointed. After Kuma realized who I was he was happy to see me. But he didn't seem as close as to me as before. I just thought it was because he hasn't seen me in a long time and thought nothing more about it.

I am now in a situation where I can have Kuma live with me and my Dad felt that since he's known his house and his other dog all his life it would be best not to take him out of his comfort zone and let him stay with him.

I'm just really torn about what to do. Should I leave Kuma with my Dad or do I bring home with me? I love my dog with all my heart and miss him everyday but I want to do what's best for him. But on the other hand if he stays with my Dad I can save one more life from a shelter.

Has anyone ran into a similar situation before and what did you do?

Thanks so much!

Bill
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 6:55pm PST 
Bill.........

I personally have to agree with your Dad... especially with the response Kuma exhibited.

There is no doubt you love Kuma.. no one is thinking otherwise... and sometimes the hardest thing we have to do is the best thing for another.. even if it isnt the best thing for us.

You love Kuma.. you always will ...... but sometimes we have to move on. Hard as that is. No one is asking you not to see him... not to love him.... what is being asked... is to allow Kuma to stay happy. I am sure in your heart that too is your want.

I dont know if what I have said has helped.. and it IS a personal view.... but it would be the direction I personally would take.

If you are indeed now in a position to to be saved by another wonderful dog (!! they save us.. we dont save them)... go for it ! To be able to save another... doesnt mean you love Kuma less.. it means your heart and soul is big enough to love both.... that has to be a wonderful warm thought.

hughughughughughughug

Edited by author Thu Apr 7, '11 6:58pm PST

[notify]
Kai

Still even more- to learn.

Barked: Fri Apr 8, '11 10:16am PST 
Many years ago I was put in the same situation you're in. Even though I really wanted my coceker spaniel back after having to leave her with my parents for about 2yrs. I had to consider her best interests as well. I saw her as much as I could and she would even spend a few days with me when my parents had to travel but,she was much better off with them in the place she knew and was most comfortable. I know you love your dog,do you love him enough to let him go? IF he's happy,comfortable and well cared for he's in the right place.
[notify]