GO!

What is wrong with my Newfoundland?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 10:38pm PST 
Hello all,
First time posting here. I am seeking for help on behalf of my mother who doesn't seem to care at all about this issue. We have a newfoundland that is 3 years old. He is overweight, I believe 170 pounds. For a while he would always have very shaky back legs. When he stands he looked like he was trying to be Elvis with how much they tremble. He constantly raising his back paws an inch or two when standing as if he is dancing. He seems to carry his lower back in a slight raise, and when standing still, always keeps his tail between his legs. And recentley he has became more and more stubborn with getting up, to now when he only gets up twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night to go to the bathroom. Food and water has to be brought to him. My parents say he is "just lazy." I think maybe he has hip dysplaysia and have been pushing my mother to take him to the vet, but she just doesn't seem motivated. He does not whimper or show signs of pain, and appears to be happy and fine, but I think there has to be an underlying issue here. any ideas?
Thank you!
[notify]
Zack

zack the big- bear

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 10:22am PST 
wave Hi, If I was you I would take him to a vet. I have a 8yr old newfie and he's never been like that. Could be his weight but I don't really know. dog
[notify]