GO!

Electric Collars?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dylan

Barked: Sun Jan 31, '10 10:59am PST 
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with using the electric collar on their NAID and how that went? We've heard varying information from some people that have used it and it's worked, to others who have used it, and the dogs don't even notice. What's your experience? Any tips on getting it to work?
[notify]
Tala

Wolf Friend - Cadaver Dog *In- Training*

Barked: Tue Feb 2, '10 2:02pm PST 
personally, i refuse to use them. i find them cruel and unnecessary (put the prongs to your wrist - more sensitive, like the neck for a dog - and see how much it hurts). for the NAIDs, i dont even really see a reason to use them (dont bark, rarely howl...), unless your talking about invisible fences, in which i dont suggest that either, since they have such a high prey drive that if they were to see a cat or squirrel run past, they would be after it immediately (not necessarily to kill it, but mostly just for the chase), not even noticing the shock.

the problem with NAIDs and electric collars is that it would most likely frighten them quite a bit, more so than with an average, confident dog (NAIDs are shy) when used and could instill behavioral problems because of the fear.

also, because the NAIDs have such a thick coat, it would be harder to really get the prongs on the neck without strangling them to keep the prongs there.

overall, i really would not recommend electric collars for a NAID (or any other dog). there are always other more useful and more humane ways to treat a behavior.

Edited by author Tue Feb 2, '10 2:04pm PST

[notify]