GO!

What do you do to prevent/deal with the excessive anxiety or nervousness of the NAID?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 3:36pm PST 
Thank you for answering my previous question. It is a great help to get answers from multiple NAID owners.

May I ask if and how you have dealt with the timidness the NAID is known for? How does this manifest itself? Are some NAIDs simply scared of new people?

Will basic socialization as a pup prevent this? Or will their be remnants of this regardless? You can and should socialize your ABPT with other dogs, for example, but if an intact male challenges another, there is a good chance they will tee off. It's in the genes. Is this partly the case with the NAIDs timidness?

Anything else you feel I should know about the breed?

I am a father of 3 kids 7 years and up, we have a house with a mid-size back yard. My son has allergies, but we are all very devoted dog people, hence the patient research.

There is a fair bit of controversy around the breed, and therefore I was hoping to hear directly from NAID owners.

Thank you!

JB
[notify]
Poca

Give me all the- dogs right now!!

Barked: Sat Feb 21, '09 9:24am PST 
Hmmmmm.....This is an ongoing topic on this breed. For every time I've encountered a story about anxious NAIDS, I've seen 3 that focus on what great family pets they make. Our girl falls into the anxious set when it comes to new people in enclosed spaces. I haven't decided if she's this way because of something we did or didn't do in socializing her or if she's this way naturally. The vet thinks it's the latter.

As for how it manifests itself: she doesn't like new people coming to the house, loud public places, people approaching unexpectedly or just getting too close if they don't have a dog in tow. We've done all of the socialization training since she was a pup and she's ok out in the open. But if she's inside without a clear escape route, she gets nervous. In two extremely stressful situations she nipped people. So we're now working through a retraining program and I think over the long haul it will work. But she doesn't seem to generalize as well on this one issue so it will take time. And a ton of patience.

No matter. They are beautiful dogs and if mine is anything to go by, they have very interesting personalities. Smart, sweet yet independent, very playful, loves other dogs and running and running and running. The husky and shepherd seem to come out most strongly in her.

Being a big fan of the breed, I would caution you about getting one if your big goal is a hypoallergenic dog. Being a combination of huskies, shepherds, malamutes, chinooks, and who knows what else does not recommend this breed as hypoallergenic! I would test it out before you get one. Logic would dictate that this claim about this breed is exaggerated.

As for temperament, there are a lot easier breeds to own. It all comes down to how much time you want to invest in the dog. If it's not several hours a day for life of exercise and training to build a strong bond with everyone in the whole family, I would pass and pick a breed with an easier temperament. JMO.

Edited by author Sat Feb 21, '09 9:30am PST

[notify]
Taza

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 5:45pm PST 
I have a 4 month old NAID. I love him dearly. He is okay around strangers although my husband said our dog growled at 2 woman who were walking along the path. Then when 2 men approached with their dogs, he was fine.
He is NOT hypoallergenic. He started his spring shedding a week or so ago and my asthma is back! When he wasn't shedding, I had no symptoms even if I buried my head in his coat. So if the breeder sends you a sample of hair, you may not react right away.
My puppy is pretty lively but he is isolated in the kitchen during the workday and at night. On the weekends, he is very well-behaved and a lot of fun. He is stubborn and very intelligent. I can teach him a trick in just a few minutes. I'm not sure I would have a NAID with children just because they can be a handful.I hope this was helpful.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 1:19am PST 
Great stuff all...please keep it coming. Anything you might feel helpful.

JB
[notify]
Dakota

Wolf dog

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 1:46pm PST 
Hi, there. My puppy is now 14 months old. When I got her, she was a little over two months old, and I don't believe she had been socialized at all by the breeder. I have had three behavior groups come in to try and help me socialize her, and today had a trainer who could do very little with her because she freaks with pretty much everyone but me. She loves all animals but doesn't really know how to interact with them. If people don't speak to her or look at her, she does a lot better. I just got a mastiff puppy three weeks ago, and Kody really likes having her around. She also loves babies and really little kids. She has taken a huge amount of patience to get her to where she is now, and the trainer says she is only a little bit above wolf behavior!! She is totally nonaggressive and has never even snapped at anyone but I wouldn't consider leaving her with anyone to take care of. The best anyone says of her is that perhaps I can modify some of her behavior but she'll never be like a regular dog-like dog. P.S. She sheds like CRAZY!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 29, '09 10:48pm PST 
May I ask from where you got her?
[notify]
Dakota

Wolf dog

Barked: Thu Apr 2, '09 8:10am PST 
Hi. I flew to California and got her from Shirley Allen. Kody was the last puppy, and Shirley said she was really shy and would never be a lap dog. Shy just doesn't cover the behavior that Kody exhibits. I really love her; she's a very sweet dog. She is loving having the puppy here, and they play a lot. I am taking her for an evaluation at the local dog training place on Monday where they have had several NAIDs, so that will be interesting if I can even get her in the shop!
[notify]
Tala

Wolf Friend - Cadaver Dog *In- Training*

Barked: Tue Apr 7, '09 8:47pm PST 
hi, Tala is now 10 weeks old and he does seem kinda anxious around new people when they first meet, but after a few minutes, he starts to calm down and allows them to pet him, then, because he is so hyper and playful, he runs around like the crazy puppy he is. lol. i love the dog to death!
Tala came from Terra Pines and i have to say that he does act a lot like a wolf and i am fairly certain that there is quite a bit of wolf blood in him, at least more than the typical purebred dog, but i cant say for sure, as i have no actual evidence. i dont care really, i love wolves and i know i can handle the behaviors. but i think to get a good idea of how to take care of these guys is to read up on wolves as, even if they dont have recent wolf heritage, some of the behaviors are so close that it just makes the training easier, at least, this is what i have found helpful with Tala, but then again, all pups are different and have different personalities and behavior so maybe i just got the wolfy pup =P
he actually looks so much like a pure wolf that people who see him think thats what he is. you have no idea how much i hear the phrase "he looks like a little wolf pup!"
but i love the pup to death and, although he gives me some trouble (even dogs have the terrible two's!), i am glad i got him =)
oh and tala does not shed much as long as i brush him weekly. he has medium length hair, and had his winter coat when i got him. i think it took me 3 days to get all the excess fur out come spring, and he doesnt shed much anymore. but thats 3 days for a 20lb puppy, so when he gets bigger (probably surpassing 100lbs as he was 14lbs at 6 weeks) it will probably be a bit harder and take longer, but its worth it, he is such a beautiful looking pup that it still makes me smile to know that he is mine =D
[notify]
Oshawa

NOT Wolf Dog!!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 9:50pm PST 
k

Edited by author Wed Jun 3, '09 9:59pm PST

[notify]
Meeko- Littlefoot

Barked: Sat Jul 4, '09 9:36am PST 
We have two NAIDS. One will go up to ANYBODY.. & one that will not someone new even look at them.. I dont know, I wish my friendly one was a little more timid.. These dogs are almost so damn smart. With our timid one.. we have NEVER forced her to go up to people that she didnt want to. We actually have learned that if a new person is in our house, sitting on the couch.. If they just ignore Holly.. she will eventually go up to them to smell their hand and such..

& its not like we didnt socialize her when she was a pup.. I dont know why some of these dogs are just like this.. But once Holly gets used to a person she really does have the biggest heart out of all our dogs & she sure is the biggest goofball of the bunch!!!

But keep in mind.. the reason why she lets people finally warm up to her.. is because we DONT force her.. we advise the people to ignore her and then she will come up to them.. (and she always does)... but if you chase that dog around trying to catch her you can garauntee that she will NEVER trust you and for some reason these dogs dont ever forget things.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2