GO!

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Skout

God is AWESOME- =P

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 9:26am PST 
I was diagnosed with IMHA on November 23, 2011. My mom is very unfamiliar with this disease, and she had never heard of it until I got very, very sick. I am still in the hospital at Mississippi State University trying to get well enough to come home. I have had two blood transfusions, and I am taking several immunosuppresants and antibiotics. She has been trying to do some research on the Internet, but I thought that maybe somebody on here had some personal experiences with it and could share something with my mom. She is very worried about me.
[notify]
Tilly

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 6:39am PST 
Hi there Skout

How are you feeling now? I have also been diagnosed with Hemolytic anemia frown my mum is very very worried about me as i am in the high dependency unit at the hospital fighting to stay strong. I am on lots of medication but i am still very poorly.

I just wondered if you're out of hospital now and how you are doing?

Lots of woofs
Tilly
[notify]
Skout

God is AWESOME- =P

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 9:38am PST 
waveHey, Tilly. Let your mom know that I am feeling much better. I was in the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital at MSU the entire week that I was there. When I arrived at MSU, my hematocrit level was at 5%, which my mom learned was not compatible to life at my first blood checkup a week later. She knew that I was standing on death's doorstep, but she was unaware that I had 3 paws on one side of the door. I have bloodwork done every other week now...at first, it was once a week. My hematocrit level is now at 36%, and that was last Tuesday. My 2 vets are beginning to taper off my prednisone, because that is one of the medications that can cause longterm problems to my little body. This is making my mom a nervous wreck, and she is praying that I don't relapse. I am still taking aspirin and azathioprine (an immunosuppresant...also given to cancer patients), along with my prednisone. They aren't touching either of those yet. One thing at a time, they say!!!! I have finished my other 5 medications that I was on at first, and I have done well since finishing those. IDK about you, but I don't like mom shoving pills down my throat, but I take them like a champ, because they are making me feel so much better. And, I can see that that makes my mom super-happy, which makes me super-happy. Tell your mom to keep her head up and pray...there's hope. What was your hematocrit level when you were taken to the hospital, and how are you doing now? What are they doing for you? I will keep you and your mom in my prayers, and my mom says she will, too. Please keep us updated on your progress, and I will do the same.

Bark soon,
Skout

Edited by author Fri Jan 6, '12 9:40am PST

[notify]

Tilly

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 11:54am PST 
Hi Skout

I am soooo sory i haven't got back to you sooner - i have been so poorly! But i am pleased to report that i am doing a lot better now. I was in the hospital for2 weeks - my pcv level was 5% too when i was admitted cry but i was now up to 45% which is perfect. I am on all the same medication as you but unfortunately it has done a lot of damage to my liver - so now i am on liver tablets too. I still take my immune supressives twice a day and i make such a sad face when the tablets are put down my throat! I am really sick of them! My steriods are now only every other day but today i had to go and have a BIG needle put in me for a blood test - i go every three weeks!!!

I live in the UK but it is so great to hear from you and to know i am not alone. It has also helped my mummy - she has been worried sick bout me.

I'm still not 100% but i am certainly a lot better and i am able to go for walks again and to the park - yay

dog walk

I'm really glad you are so much better too happy dance

Love from
Tilly x
[notify]