GO!

Most common diseases on the Miniature Schnauzer

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dakota

Forever in my- heart: LaBichita- and Lil C

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '07 1:12pm PST 
I have Dakota for 2 years and I heard that Min. Schnauzers suffer from juvenile eye cataracts and also from a skin allergy (is like pimples all over the body) What other disease is most frequent on the Min. Schanauzer???

Besitos,
Dakota
[notify]
Bowser (In- Loving- Memory)

Mommy's angel

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 12:45am PST 
Unfortunately, Schnauzers do tend to have a lot of health issues. Some of the most common that I have seen are diabetes, cushings disease and frequent bouts of pancreatitis. They often have elevated ALKPh and cholesterol. A lot of schnauzers are overweight, which exacerbates these problems.

Bowser had a lot of lipomas, which aren't life threatening or anything, but sometimes they can become a nuisance if they are between muscle layers. Bowser had one that was between the muscle layerrs on his rear leg, and it grew very large and caused him to have some difficulty walking.

Another common problem is bladder or kidney stones. I have seen numerous schnauzers that needed surgery for these. Renal dysplasia is also common.

Bowser had diabetes insipidus (not to be confused with diabetes mellitus), which sort of mimicked the symptoms of cushings disease (also common in schnauzers). Diabetes insipidus isn't that common of a diagnosis, but it does occur. He went through tons of tests to figure this out. He couldn't concentrate his urine and was constantly drinking water. Also in his list of problems was the skin issue where he would form black heads and also get sebaceous cysts that would rupture. The blackheads weren't as bad when he was bathed regularyl with pyoben or other medicated shampoo, but the sebaceous cysts there wasn't much to be done about them.

The schnauzer I'm trying to rescue has hypothyroidism, which is also common in schnauzers. He also has elevated liver enzymes and cholestrol.

Here's a link to a site which lists dog breeds and their potential hereditary diseases. You'll notice that schnauzers have quite an extensive list frown. http://www.nzymes.com/Articles/hereditary_congenital_diseases_in_dog s.htm#Section1

Don't let this deter you from one of the best breeds out there! It just helps to be informed of the potential problems.
[notify]
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '07 5:15am PST 
Schnauzers are prone to eye problems, hip problems, 'schnauzer bumps' (I have those), kidney stones, as well as lots of other things. There's really no way that the human caregiver can prevent eye or hip problems, but to help prevent schnauzer bumps (though some dogs, like me, get them anyway), feed a healthy diet, maybe a holistic kibble like Fromm Four-Star. To prevent kidney stones, make sure your pup drinks lots of water!
[notify]

Dakota

Forever in my- heart: LaBichita- and Lil C

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '07 7:32pm PST 
Bowser and Mika thanks for your help wavecheerhail My Dakota is not overweight I always make her lots of exercise and I have controll on her diet.... But Dakota has a problem on her knee (the doctor said is displaxia but she have it in a very low level and told me is not good for her to be breed)...

Thanks for your help...

Besitos,
Dakota
[notify]
Sophie

I have big ears- and I am proud- of them!

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '07 6:26am PST 
What are Schnauzer bumps? I have started to get little bumps on my back. They look like little pimples. Do I have Schnauzer bumps?? thinking
[notify]
Bowser (In- Loving- Memory)

Mommy's angel

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '07 11:58pm PST 
Sounds like it might be the start of them. They're like little zits. Sometimes the skin will be oily as well. There's really only so much that can be done to prevent them. Usually they're more of a nuisance than a terrible problem, but sometimes they can get infected and they're not all that fun to pet.

My skin was weird. Parts of it were really oily and would get the bumps, but my underside and legs were dry and itchy.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 17, '07 1:00pm PST 
The schnauzer bumps are usually are usually blamed on the food from what I read, as is the itching and scratching. My two (2) mini schnauzers have zero problems and I credit that to the food. I feed twice (2) a day Life's Abundance and supplement that with a vitamin and a skin and coat tablet and no people foods. I get mine at www.AHealthyPetFood.com The web site says they have free samples but I've never checked it out. I know a lot of other schnauzers that are on this food also and all are doing great and have zero problems. Good Luck
[notify]
Miss- Izzabelle- Satterfield

Never sleep when- you can eat!

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '07 4:43pm PST 
We have had two minis. From our experience they seem to be prone to bladder stones, skin issues (Schnauzer bumps), sensitive stomachs, and fatty tumors under the skin. Our rescue Schnauzer has had seizures.
[notify]
Jessie

Dog Breath - Less Enjoyed in- Moderation

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 1:50pm PST 
Schnauzer bumps, diabetes, kidney/bladder stones and cushings disease are common. One disease that doesn't appear too often (but still happens on the occasion) is cancer, which is good to know.
[notify]
Duke

Mr. Personality- Plus

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '07 3:59pm PST 
HI,
Junior cataract desease is something the puppy is born with. All good breeders started breeding this problem out of the mini for many years now. There are very good breeders out there where this problem won't acure. What happens is: both parents have the junior cataract bad gene and it's then transmitted to 20% of the puppies. They will go blind by the time they are 18 months old. Puppy Mills or bad breeding is how this happens. There is surgery for some of these dogs and the eye lens can be replaced just like humans. It's very expensive but worth it. frown Good luck to you and I hope all is well. Duke is our love and some day we will pay for what ever he needs. He is now 4 years old.

Edited by author Tue Aug 7, '07 4:04pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2