GO!

Is your minpin friendly to strangers?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kayjun

"I can't stop- thinking about- food!!"

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 10:20pm PST 
Hi yall, I was just wondering if your minpins are friendly to strangers/guests that enter your home ?

Or does your minpin continues to bark at the guest while following them (guest) wherever they go to see what the guest is up to, and does not stop barking (like my minpin!).

I was just wondering because I use to think that the reason for my minpin's behaviour for being so protective was just one of the breed's characterisitc (big dog trapped in a small dog's body) But now I'm thinking that the reason for his behaviour is due to the lack of my traning and discipline on him ? I admit I really baby him and spoil him (and I know thats not a good thing for pinschers)
[notify]
Pimpers

One Wild And- Crazy Dog

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 7:09pm PST 
Our minipin is also very weary of strangers, he will continue barking for a long time when he meets someone new. He also will bark at other dogs. I dont think its you not training, which I might add I have not had much luck on myself. I tend to believe that its the breed. I would welcome any other info myself.
[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 12:58pm PST 
Fynnly loves everybody. He's never met a human he didn't like and will happily perch on anyone's lap. Other dogs might get him to bark a few times out of excitement upon first meeting them but other than that he stays quiet. I wouldn't tolerate endless barking at guests coming into our home, just like I wouldn't appreciate visiting someone's home who's dog responded the same way to me.

We taught Fynny to speak, and then *quiet.* He picked both up very quickly.
[notify]

Kayjun

"I can't stop- thinking about- food!!"

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '08 8:00am PST 
thats awesome flinigan, did you ever hire a trainer or you just taught on your own ?

kayjun sounds a lot like pimpers! =)

not getting much responses.
I wish the pinscher forum wasnt' so dead!

Edited by author Wed Mar 10, '10 2:05pm PST

[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Wed Dec 10, '08 4:03pm PST 
No trainers here, what they know they learned via me LOL

I knew the breed had a tendency to be leary of strangers so we were proactive in making every experience he had with them positives ones. I simply had every friend and family member he met early on give him treats. Then as he got more comfortable I had them just pet him a bit. Now he rarely bats an eye at well known visitors or strangers. Although he's frolicy (is that even a word??!), and jumpy in his movements his overall mood is pretty laid back. I know it's not due to genetics because his parents and siblings are CRAZY, so I like to think it had to do with the actions we took to avoid him being anxious around other people.
[notify]
Lola

The aggresive- scaredy cat!

Barked: Thu Dec 11, '08 8:56pm PST 
Our Min Pin Lola is weary of anything that moves! When it comes to strangers she does not like them and will bark and follow them like you said. When you tell her to stop barking she will but she will still follow them around. If they sit down she will greet them politely. Very protective, must be in their nature.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Fri Dec 12, '08 9:51am PST 
Gunner is weary of anyone that comes into our house. He doesn't mind women (my friends) but if my husbands friends come over he will bark up a storm... most likely because they are all loud and there is a lot of physical activity (big hugs, arm wrestles, tackles) when his friends come over. I would be on alert and aloof if someone like that came into my own home.

Outside of the house I think it depends on the person. Gunner will not approach/let someone pet him who swoops down and tries to pet him themselves. He will approach someone that crouches down to his level and makes no advances to pet him. He will also approach someone who ignores him, hehe.
[notify]
Rusty aka- Rusty Bear

Mister- Mischievous

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 7:01am PST 
Well Rusty is a 6 month old min pin/chi mix - so i don't know if that has anything to do with it, but he is extremely well behaved with strangers. He has never barked at a stranger that has come into our home, even though our weimaranar constantly barks at them until they greet him with lots of affection. Rusty is also very calm when meeting strangers in public places like pet stores. He sometimes cowers close to me (while I'm holding him) if someone approaches him to quickly, but if standing on the ground he is fine. He definitely likes/trusts women more than men. It's kind of ironic because I tell everyone how great he is in public, but at home with me he is a wild man!
[notify]
Mulan

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 3:26pm PST 
Mulan barks non stop... luckily she is mini min pin (5lbs) so we have learned if we hold her for 20-30 minutes she gets acclimated. I supposed training us humans would help, but its pretty much bad habit now.
[notify]
Luna

Luna Beast

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 6:59pm PST 
My minpin DOES NOT stop barking at people that come in our house! They have to come over atleast 3 times for her to even smell them..she even barks at certain people at the dog park!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3