GO!

Demodectic Mange?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rey

The Underpants- Bandit

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 6:53pm PST 
Hi everyone! I'm new here! My name is Rey and I'm a purebread Min-Pin. I'll be 6 months old next week! Nice to meet you all!

I have a question...My mom took me to the doctor Monday because I have been scratching my ears a lot. She thought maybe I had something wrong with them, even though they are very clean. I was starting to lose small patches of hair, too! But the doctor said that I have a skin condition that I got from my biological mom. Demodectic Mange? We've never heard of it and was wondering if anyone here was familiar with it? The doctor said that we caught it early and it's very localized. He gave my mom some topical medicine to treat me every other week, but I want to know when the itching will stop because I'm still scratching quite a bit! Is there anything I can do for the itching?? And when will my hair grow back? Thanks to anyone that can help!!
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Sat Sep 27, '08 10:27pm PST 
Hi! Sorry that nobody has responded to your inquiry!

Demodectic mange is very common in dogs and in Min Pins. As long as you got your medicine then you should be fine! I believe it is a type of bacteria or fungus that passes from Mom to pups or dog to dog. Hope you are feeling better !smile
[notify]
Slick

I'm a couch- warmer

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 5:41am PST 
Good morning, my name is Slick and I have the same thing. It is caused by a mite that all dogs are born with but can be activated by several things. In my case it was due to malnutrition and stress. I had it all over me when I was recued. I'm now on medication that Mom puts in my food every night. The vet recommended I be on it for 6-8 weeks. It's almost all gone and so is the medication. The itching is all gone now too. If it doesn't go away soon, go back to the vet.
[notify]

Slick

I'm a couch- warmer

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 5:41am PST 
Good morning, my name is Slick and I have the same thing. It is caused by a mite that all dogs are born with but can be activated by several things. In my case it was due to malnutrition and stress. I had it all over me when I was recued. I'm now on medication that Mom puts in my food every night. The vet recommended I be on it for 6-8 weeks. It's almost all gone and so is the medication. The itching is all gone now too. If it doesn't go away soon, go back to the vet.
[notify]
Misty

more Cheeto's- please.......

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 5:19pm PST 
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/demodecticmange.html
this may help better to explain demodex. It is in fact a microscopic mite.
[notify]
Fynnigan

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 1:29pm PST 
Fynn had it localized on his ears when he was younger too. Little bits of fur on the tips of his ears started getting thicker and then sloughing off. We brought him in and the vet confirmed demodex. Instead of dipping him or putting him on meds (which we were told can be tough on their tiny bodies and toxic in some cases) the doc gave us the option of trying to change his diet first to something of a higher quality (he was on crappy IAMS) since it was localized and not bothering him at all. When we switched him to a higher quality food (Natural Balance ultra premium formula) it cleared up completely and hasn't returned.

I too have heard it can be due to malnutrition, poor diet, or lowered immune system due to stress or events like a spay/neuter surgery or illness.

I hope it clears up for you!!!
[notify]
Cooper Wood

Constant- Whirlwind- Coopertron!

Barked: Tue Dec 28, '10 9:55am PST 
Hi, I'm Coopertron, I also have demodectic mange very slightly, ALL dogs have the mites in small quantities, the hereditary part is a defficiency in the immune system that helps us stop the mites from multiplyin.

Mine is localised (front of ears, and front leg joints) and now it is being treated it won't become a generalised problem

Woof applause
[notify]