GO!

Feeding and Health

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mini

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 2:07pm PST 
I rescue dogs (one at a time) and I just today got a mini dachshund, she just had pups 8 weeks ago and is very boney, I need to know what I should feed her and what kind of feeding schedule she should be on. I do not eat meat and cook healthy I saw that there are recipes for dog meals, would those be good for her or not? Any help will do she is so fragile.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 4:48pm PST 
I had this SAME issue with my rescued full sized Dachshund. I adopted her in September from a Japanese shelter as my husband and I are stationed here. She was skin and bones, so much so that her muscles had atrophied and she had trouble walking after sleeping for several hours. Because they were not feeding her quality food at the shelter and what they were feeding her was only what they had on hand ( all different kinds) she also was having trouble adjusting to her new food. Once I had her checked out at the vet, they gave her antibiotics and she finally was having regular solid bowel movements I started mixing her food with flax seed, dried plain oats, and fish oil for her joints. Her poor stomach handled it well, and once she was fully adjusted, I just fed her good top quality dog food twice a day, 3/4 cup each feeding. She gained 4 lbs. And is now a healthy, playful, and active dog. I would just feed your little rescue as you would any other dog, just make sure it is a quality dog food. They will eventually start to put on weight. Sometimes they suggest feeding them 3 or 4 SMALLER meals a day to adjust them because they're emaciated and too much food at one time can make them sick. I feed my mini 1/2 a cup twice per day, so you can cut it back to 1/4 cup 4 times per day and see how well she can handle that! Just make sure she's healthy otherwise by taking her to the vet for a thorough check-up first!
[notify]