GO!

Let him jump from bed/couch?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Pluto

play fetch with- me!

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 10:47am PST 
I know people and vets say not to let your dachsie jump down from the couch, bed, etc due to potential back problems. I am wondering:

- Have you been successful in training your dog not to jump down? How did you do it? Did your dog develop back issues anyway?
- Do you let your dog jump everywhere? (mine sees it as his right, because he belongs wherever the people are!) Have your dogs developed problems as a result?

Please share your experiences with me. I love my dog, he's 2 1/2 years and I want him happy and healthy in the years to come. As of now, he goes where he pleases because he always wants to be in a lap or snuggled next to someone on a bed. He jumps down from things probably 20 to 30 times daily. All comments and advice welcome!
[notify]
Bella

I'm Sassy and I- know it!

Barked: Fri May 28, '10 8:49am PST 
Hi Pluto!

My mommy has tried to teach me to not jump on things, but like you said if mommys there that's where I want to be too! Mommy told me that this can lead to me getting hurt, but she also said that she read that a majority of the back problems caused from jumping are from higher hights than a standard couch. She also said that as long as I watch my weight jumping on the couch shouldn't be a problem. Mommys bed is wayyy too tall for me to jump up on, but I have jumped down a couple times. I didn't get hurt but it scared mommy a lot! Now I usually just wine and bark until mommy lets me down. Mommy is going to buy me some doggie steps soon. Maybe your mommy or daddy will buy you some doggie steps too!

Bella
[notify]
Flash

The Flash: Quick- on his feet

Barked: Tue Jun 29, '10 10:43am PST 
Hi Pluto,
My name is Flash and i like to jump off EVERYTHING! Mommy doesnt like it but i'm hardhaeded and do it anyways. So mommy went and got me some doggy steps and this makes it much easier for me. Tell your mommy to get you some because if your like me you want to be where she is.snoopy
[notify]

Chloe

Princess Chloe- gets whatever- she wants

Barked: Sat Aug 28, '10 1:34pm PST 
Hi everyone, my name is Chloe and I get so excited I have to jump. My mommy and daddy also got me a step to make it easier to get up and down. I still get excited and skip using it from time to time but usually I use it. I am so brave that I will jump right off the back of the couch like superman! I am only 7 months old so I haven't had an back trouble yet.
[notify]