GO!

Tail Chasing

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Dandie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:05pm PST 
Hey all,
Just looking to see if anyone has some interesting ideas about discouraging tail chasing. My one year old Dandie, just started doing it when we were gone for long weekend. She's never really been a kennel dog. In the past she was kenneled for about 2-3 hours at a time. This particular weekend, she was kenneled for about 6 hours. That's when it all began.
We've put her on some medication perscribed by the vet, the trainer said to get her a pack and put some weights in it to tire her. We are giving her kongs full of treats and bones of all types when we see her start. Its working somewhat, but we still catch her doing it several times a day....
Any ideas?????????????shrugshrug
[notify]
Willie

What's yours is- mine.

Barked: Tue Sep 30, '08 6:27am PST 
That's a sign of OCD behavior. I have that as well. My parents actually took me to a behaviorist. There are some training techniques that if my owners can find again, they'd be happy to share with you.
[notify]
Dandie

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 12:01pm PST 
Just wanted to post some positive news on the subject. Dandie had such a bad problem with tail chasing she would fall down from exhaustion from her obsession. After training and anti-anxiety medications failed to help the problem, my vet and I decided that we would amputate her tail and see if that helped at all. DANDIE is CURED!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad we exhausted all options prior to her amputation, although I am so glad we did it. We amputated her tail when Dandie was just over a year. She is three years and we haven't seen her chase her tail since.
Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem.
[notify]