GO!

Herding alternatives for semi-city canines?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Jojo (Josie)

Woof...?

Barked: Sat May 8, '10 11:26am PST 
Most problems have been cleared up with Jojo, though it took a bit of time. Was recently out on a humane society walk with her, surrounded by hundreds of dogs, cats, horses, and people and she did wonderful. :U But now that most of the problems are getting better, I was trying to focus on exercise for her.

We don't live in the deep city or anything, but the area is far from suitable for a herding dog. I've tried taking her on simple walks, a couple hours, 2 or 3 times a day. And she IS an older dog but she never seems tired. Buddy is fine and well, as he loves to fetch things and long walks seem to be enough for him, but I'm having a difficult time trying to find a way to get something to entertain Jojo enough to not have her be destructive or bored.

Tried to see if she liked to run, but she just stood there, seemed quite bored...

Halp?
[notify]
Draco

Barked: Tue Sep 7, '10 12:03pm PST 
Maybe see if your allowed to own some type of water fowl like ducks for it to herd. some suburban areas allows chicken and other fowl.
[notify]
Saddlebacks Huckleberry Finn

Im a Lover not a- Fighter!

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 8:58pm PST 
Try agility. Also there is flyball, frisbie, dock jumping, all require a dog with high energy, drive and desire to do a job.
[notify]

Pip

She\'s a Pip of- a dog

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 8:56pm PST 
My aussie loves K9 nosework. It gives her a job, is rewarding and bonding between the handler and dog, is positive, and allows them to mentally exhaust themselves. It is one dog at a time, so even reactive dogs can do it and it gives dogs confidence. You should see if any training facilities offer an introductory class.
[notify]