GO!

Guardian Dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rex

Lone Star Aussie

Barked: Sat Apr 4, '09 5:38pm PST 
I know most people aren't scared of little dogs and we live in a good neighborhood that's gone bad so we need a dog that will protect us(even attack someone if they go too far). BUT the dog will live with an elderly lady and a high school girl(me) so we can't control a big doberman or rottweiler. We decided on a cute little male Mini Aussie.
Of course I am going to socialize this pup with children so he will be friendly,but IF necessary I would like him to protect us if he senses that something is wrong because the dog will pretty much be a patrol pup.

So...are the Mini Aussie's that ya'll own good guard dogs?
[notify]
Chase (CGC)

I'm A Proud- Wiggle Butt!

Barked: Thu May 7, '09 4:54pm PST 
I don't own a Mini, but they are supposed to basically be a small Aussie so the breed standard says:

"He is reserved with strangers but does not exhibit shyness. Although an aggressive, authoritative worker, viciousness toward people or animals is intolerable."

Chase will bark at someone he doesn't know (until I tell him to stop) and I have no doubt he'd die for me..

But you shouldn't rely on a dog to protect you.. You should be protecting THEM.

way to go
[notify]