GO!

japanese chin or pekingese

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mr. Magoo

Ma-goo-gee

Barked: Mon May 19, '08 6:22pm PST 
i bought my dog from some random lady she said he was purebred pek... but no papers. she had pics of the parents and the mom lookd pek but the dad had markings like a japanese chin. which can be easily mistaken for a pek. anywho just wondering what others thought. his eyes still show whites which makes me think japanese chin. anywho he's only 16 weeks so his eyes might still be googly. any replys welcomed
[notify]
Molly

To spin or not- to spin...

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 11:16am PST 
From what I've seen online and in several books, it is sometimes easier to distinguish between a Peke and a Chin by looking at their feet (of course, if the pup is a mix, this won't help much). Peke's little feet are more round like a little fist. The Chins have longer, brush shaped feet (think Japanese paint brush). I'll try to find the link to the article that explained this but it has been a while since I've seen it. Hope this helps!
[notify]
Gabrielle

Stop! You little- fart-nugget!

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '08 7:00pm PST 
I think you look like you got the best of both!wink
[notify]

Molly

To spin or not- to spin...

Barked: Wed Jul 2, '08 10:31am PST 
Mr. Magoo, I finally found the web site I mentioned earlier. There is a good bit of information comparing the two breeds here:

http://www.japanesechinrescue.org/

Look down on the left hand side of the page for "How to Identify a Japanese Chin". Hope this helps you!
[notify]
Winnie Faye

Bubbly Little- Princess

Barked: Fri Aug 8, '08 4:51pm PST 
It seems to be a mix of both.
[notify]
Pookie

A- Pookiechu...Cute- r than a bunny!

Barked: Sun Apr 12, '09 11:00pm PST 
To me looks like a mix of both breeds.
Pookie, who is a quarter or so Pekingese often is mistaken as a Japanese Chin to the untrained eye.
[notify]
Gidget

Barked: Sun May 10, '09 6:43pm PST 
I breed Japanese Chins, and I am sorry to say it appears you were scammed. I'm sure you adore him anyways, so as they say...."What's in a name?"
[notify]