GO!

Potty Issues with JRT

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 6:17am PST 
Hi! We are fostering a 7 y-o Jack Russell and he is a sweetie. But we are having potty issues even after 3 weeks. There are actually TWO things going on with him. First is his complete obsession with eating poop. And I mean obsession. He spends most of his time in the yard searching for tasty treats and it doesn't matter whose they are--other dogs, rabbits, etc. I have read about putting Tabasco sauce on them, using a squirt bottle as negative reinforcement, etc. That is not the main issue, but it may or may not be related.

The biggest problem is that he is not getting on a schedule with our other dogs. He hates to go outside in general, but he has improved with coaxing via a treat. Once outside, he basically wants to either hunt poop or go back inside. We will stay out with him for 20 mins. or so, using the word "potty," which he sees our other dogs react to, but I would say 75% of the time he does not go. He only pees maybe two times per day, first thing in the morning and later in the day. He randomly poops during the day, either in the yard or the house. This morning I stood out with him for 20 mins and he had no interest in going potty. So I let him in the house and turned around to lock the door and I heard my son say that the JRT was pooping in the living room. frown

We have tried treats as soon as he goes, I've kept him on a leash and stood near the bushes...we've had several fosters like the ivy...we put him on the lead so he can have a bit more freedom... He drinks plenty of water and we have him on good food. We take him out often enough and can crate him if need be. I'm not sure what else to try. It's not only frustrating, but I worry that it will interfere with someone adopting or keeping him. He sees our beagle and pit on a schedule, so he does have them to learn from.

Also, he was an owner surrender into a high kill shelter. Our rescue pulled him along with another male dog who had come from the same home. The JRT is about 50% blind and relied a lot on the other dog. The other dog has since been adopted, and our foster is a bit timid but has bonded fairly well with us. (He just not sat to start pooping in the living room. I saw it before he started and clapped my hands to disrupt him and the hubs took him right outside. To our knowledge, he has not peed at all today.) Any input will be appreciated. We usually foster pits and bigger dogs, this little guy is our first small dog.
[notify]