GO!

Size of Irish Terriers

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Killian

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 4:22pm PST 
My Family and I have had an Irish terreier for the past 17 years. Our first was Rusty and he was about 45 pounds and our second is Killian. Now Killian is also a large Irish weighing in at about 50 pounds. Now, neither of these dogs are fat just about 2 times the size that a normal Irish terrier should be. They both came from the same family tree and the vet said both times that they are huge or their breed. They are the size o a small airdale. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just in our water?
[notify]
Darby

What a comedian!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '08 3:24pm PST 
Our Darby is about 48LB, and like yours, not fat, very active and athletic at 5yrs. One breeder said that with the improvements in food quality, he thinks it's harder to keep them in the breed standard. Maybe they should have 2 sets of breed standards.
[notify]
Luke

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 6:35am PST 
I''m glad I found this because I took my Irish to the vet last night for his heartworm test and he weighed in at 45 pounds. When I got home I pulled out the breed standard which I haven't looked at in a long time and was shocked to see that he is supposed to be 27 pounds. I then measured him (more or less) and he's about 24 inches at the shoulder instead of the required 15. I guess he's a giant, but I have to say I love his size and I get inquiries from people constantly when we are out walking wanting to know what kind of dog he is. He draws a lot of (positive) attention.
[notify]

Big Mac

Large and in- charge

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 10:48am PST 
This is a good topic because Mac is turning 5 mos on the 2nd and he is already 22lbs. I don't think he will be as big as yours but he's still a baby and is growing a mile a min
[notify]
Caylem

Caylem-Loves- walking !

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 1:26pm PST 
My dog Caylem is 50 pounds . I was concern too, but my vet told me he 's fit and just big for his breed standards. He's all muscle. My breeder in Quebec Canada tried to tell me that he was too big and I was feeding him to much!
[notify]
Big Mac

Large and in- charge

Barked: Sun Apr 26, '09 11:43am PST 
He was 5 mos when I last posted and now that he's 7 mos he is 35.4 two weeks ago. I really do think he's gonna get to the 50 lb mark and he's 201/2 inchesshock
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:49pm PST 
I too am curious about the size of my male Irish Terrier. He is 20 months and already weighs 47lbs. I was told the max he would weigh was 32lbs. He is not fat so is the breed size growing or is this just a fluke? Also I have not had him stripped ever. I like his scurffy look but is there a downside of never having him stripped? If I do decide to strip him will his hair grow back scruffy like it is now if I dont like the new stripped look? By the way I am new to this website and will download a picture of Whelan shortly. Regards, and look forward to a response. : )
[notify]