GO!

New to Home Prepared Foods

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Cookie

I'd rather be at- the cottage.

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 6:37pm PST 
My 7.5 year old Lhasa mix got her first UTI about 3 weeks ago. With fluids and antibiotics she seems fine. Follow up showed no more infection, just crystals. X-ray showed no bladder stones thankfully. In 2 weeks we will do a follow-up test to see if there are still crystals.

I really don't think she will like the 'special diet' stuff for a variety of reasons, so we would like to try to resolve the issue with home cooked food.

Generally she eats any meat and some of the sweeter veggies, so I don't think she will have a problem with eating it.

I'm just concerned about making sure she gets enough nutrients and I'm not sure about what foods to avoid.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 9:35pm PST 
UTI isn't eliminated by feeding a good wet food. It can help as a good amount of urine must help wash bacteria out of the lower urinary tract before they can set up shop in the bladder. Sassy had 2 UTI when she was geriatric and fed home cooked food that was watered down and mushed into a soup. She had difficulty drinking from a water pail/dish but somehow could finish off that soup. Never did she have one as a healthy adult fed regular kibble. I am all for feeding fresh food but don't want you to think it is a cure all!

I like the information on dogaware and the newsletters at B-Naturals for nutrition information. Really read the information at dogaware and check out the cookbooks mentioned. Some can be partly read online so you can see if you like how things are done.

See Sedona's thread on balancing a home cooked dog food for how tos.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Home_Prepared_Food_Recipes/threa d/640881

Be warned, if you don't cook now you will be cooking more for the humans, dog food smells wonderful as it cooks! Since it isn't seasoned it doesn't taste very good but we sure ate a lot more home made chicken soup when I was cooking chicken and rice for Sassy.

My dogs eat raw. It is cheaper and less fussy than cooking but you have to do what is comfortable for you. Have to put that disclaimer in.

If I had to cook for the dogs I would prefer to feed mostly lean hamburger. Easy to deal with and has a balanced and adequate amount of iron and zinc. 3/4 pound of 85-90% lean with 1/4 pound pureed or well cooked low calorie vegetables for starters. In time I would put in about 1/2 ounce of beef liver and an egg. I would feed through a can of fatty fish at about 10% of the total diet. Most important I would add some calcium to the diet. Max would need bone meal added at a rate of 900mg calcium per pound of food but some dogs that need more calories per pound might need only powdered egg shell at 1/2 tsp per pound of food as they would get enough phosphorus in the meats alone. Bone meal is rich in phosphorus as well as calcium, egg shell is nearly pure calcium carbonate. If you try this then start out feeding about 2% of your dog's weight per day, 16 ounces for a 50 pound dog, 8 ounces for a 25 pound dog, 4 for a 12 pound dog. A scale is best but you could estimate with a level cup measure approximately equal to 8 ounces. Max got really fat on home cooking, my best buddy couldn't possible be okay with 12 ounces a day and he usually got more like 16. I had an old difficult to tare scale too. Every week give your dog a good going over to see if he is getting fluffy or ribby and adjust the food accordingly. Feed more food,use a fattier meat, use higher calorie veggies maybe. This recipe isn't perfect but is very close. Tweak it as you figure out how to do better and what your dog does better with.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 8:59pm PST 
Bumping to kill spambots...again
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 1:11pm PST 
Bumping yo drown spambots .. AGAIN
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC